Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 8, p. 195.


Graphics file for this page
POPULATION
195
which was afterwards made the. excuse for further invasions. Najib
Khan married Dunde Khan's daughter, and gradually extending his
influence west of the Ganges, and at Delhi, obtained the title of Najib
ud-daula and in 1757 became paymaster of the imperial army. His
success laid him open to the attacks of jealous rivals ; and the infamous
Wazīr Ghazi-ud-din called in the Marāthas, who besieged Najib-ud-
daula in the fort of Shukartar on the west bank of the Ganges, but
retreated on the approach of the Rohillas. After the battle of Panipat,
where Najib-ud-daula distinguished himself, he became Wazir, and
filled the highest post in the kingdom with credit to himself and
benefit to the state. After his death in 177o his son, Zabita Khan,
was defeated by the Marāthas, who now ravaged Rohilkhand ; and a few
years later, in 1774, the Rohilla power east of the Ganges was crushed,
and the final treaty by which the territory was incorporated in Oudh
was concluded at L,al Dhang. The District was ceded to the British
by the Nawab of Oudh in 18o1 ; and four years later Amir Khan, the
Pindari, rode through it like a whirlwind, recalling the raid of Timar 400
years before. The District then remained quiet till the Mutiny of 1857.
News of the Meerut outbreak reached Bijnor on May 13. The
Roorkee sappers mutinied and arrived at Bijnor on the 19th, but they
passed on without creating any disturbance, and the District remained
quiet till June 1. On that date the Nawab of Najibabad, a grandson
of Zabita Khan, appeared at Bijnor with zoo armed Pathans. On the
8th, after the outbreak at Bareilly and Moradabad, the European
officers quitted Bijnor, and reached Roorkee on the 11th. The Nawab
at once proclaimed himself as ruler, and remained in power till
August 6, when the Hindus of the District rose against the Musalman
authority and defeated him for the time. On the 24th the Muham-
madans returned in force and drove out the Hindus. The latter
attacked their conquerors again on September 18, but without success,
and the Nawab ruled unopposed until April 17, 1858. Our troops
then crossed the Ganges, and utterly defeated the rebels at Nagina
on the 21st. British authority was immediately re-established, and
has not since been disturbed.
The forests in the north of the District contain many ancient ruins
and mounds which have not been fully explored; but Buddhist remains
have been unearthed in places. At NAJIBnBAD, the tomb of Najib
Khan, the founder of the town, and a few remains of other buildings
are the chief memorials of Muhammadan rule.
The District contains 16 towns and 2,132 villages. The village sites
still preserve the old compact appearance, which was the result of the
unsettled times when men built their houses close
together for protection, and there are few outlying Population.
hamlets. Population has fluctuated considerably. The numbers at the
02
Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html