Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 8, p. 246.


Graphics file for this page
246
BlWBHI7M
age: The numbei of educational institutions, public' and private, in
that year was 1,046, including one Arts college, 52 secondary, 952 pri-
mary, and 41 special schools. The expenditure on education was
Rs. 1,6i,ooo, of which Rs. ir,ooo was met from Provincial funds,
Rs. 25,000 from District funds, Rs. 500 from municipal funds, and
Rs. 91,ooo from fees. These institutions include 15 Santal schools
attended by about 400 pupils of aboriginal origin.
In 1903 the District contained 8 dispensaries, of which 3 with 25
beds had accommodation for in-patients. The cases of 35,000 out-
patients and 211 in-patients were treated during the year, and 2,39r
operations were performed. The expenditure was Rs. r2,000, of which
Rs. 400 was met from Government contributions, Rs. 3,000 from Local
and Rs. 1,200 from municipal funds, and Rs. 4,000 from subscriptions.
In addition, a sum of Rs. 2o,ooo received on behalf of the Chetla
Dispensary was invested.
Vaccination is compulsory only within Sfiri municipality. In 1903-4
the number of successful vaccinations was 27,500, or 31 per I,ooo of
the population.
[Sir W. W. Hunter, Statistical Account of Bengal, vol. iv (1876), and
Annals of Rural Bengal (1868) ; E. G. Drake-Brockman, Notes on the
Early Administration of the Birbhibm District (Calcutta, 1898).]
Birnâgar (or Ula).--Town in the Ranaghat subdivision of Nadia
District, Bengal, situated in 23° 15' N. and 88° 34' E. Population
(1901), 3,124. Bīrnagar was constituted a municipality in 1869. The
income during the decade ending 1901-2 averaged Rs. 3,7oo, and the
expenditure RS. 2,9oo. The income in 1903-4 was Rs. 3,400, mainly
from a tax on persons (or property tax) ; and the expenditure was
Rs. 2,400.
Birfzr.-Town in the Kadnr tdluk of Kadfir District, Mysore, situated
in 13° 36' N. and 75° 58' E., at the junction for the Shimoga branch
railway. Population (1901), 5,701. Areca-nuts from the Malriad in
the west are exported to Bellary and Dharwar. A very large trade is
carried on in coco-nuts, grain, and other produce of the surrounding
country. The town has- been extended in recent years. The muni
cipality dates from 1870. The receipts and expenditure during the ten
years ending 1901 averaged Rs. 4,7oo and Rs, 4,400. In 1903-4 they
were Rs. 4,ooo and Rs. 6,500.
Bisalpur Tahsil.-Southern tahsil of Pīlibhit District, United
Provinces, conterminous with the pargana of the same name, lying
between 28° 6' and 28° 32' N. and 79° 42' and 80 2' E., with an area
of 363 square miles. Population increased from 190,864 In 1891 to
196,333 in 1901. There are 424 villages and two towns, including
BISALPUR (population, 9,85 0, the tahsil head-quarters. The demand
for land revenue in 1903-4 was Rs. 3,25,ooo, and for cesses Rs. 53,000.
Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html