BISA ULI TD TWN
The density of population, 541 persons per square mile, is the highest
in the District. Three considerable rivers, the Deoha, Katna, and
Khanaut, and a number of smaller streams flow from north to south,
and are dammed and used for irrigation, especially the upper course
of the Katna, which passes through the Mala swamp. In 1903-4 the
area under cultivation was 241 square miles, of which 84 were irrigated,
mostly from wells.
Bisalpur Town.-Head-quarters of the tahsil of the same name in
Pilibhit District, United Provinces, situated in 28° 18' N. and 79° 49' E.,
23 miles south of Pilibhit town. Population (igoi), 9,851. It is said
to have been founded by one Bisū, Ahir, in the reign of Shah Jahan
and a fort was built here during the rule of the Rohillas. The town is
merely an overgrown agricultural village, surrounded on all sides but the
south by groves. The centre is occupied by a good market-place, where
four roads meet, and brick houses are increasing in number. The chief
public buildings are the municipal hall, tahsih, dispensary, and school.
Bisalpur has been a municipality since 1862. During the ten years
ending rgoi the income and expenditure averaged Rs. 6,ooo. The
income in 1903-4 was Rs. 12,000, chiefly from octroi (Rs. 7,000) ; and
the expenditure was Rs. 10,7oo. Trade is largely local, consisting in
the collection of sugar and grain. The municipality maintains one
school and aids two others, attended by 239 pupils.
Bisauli Tahsil.-North-eastern tahsil of Budaun District, United
Provinces, comprising theldrganas of Bisauli, Islamnagar, and Satasi,
and lying between 28° 8' and 28' 28' N. and 78° 32' and 790 8' E.,
with an area of 360 square miles. Population increased from 183,716
in 1891 to 211,507 in igoi. There are 350 villages and three towns,
the largest being ISLAMNAGAR (population, 6,367) and BISAULĪ (5,323)
the head-quarters. The demand for land revenue in 1903-4 was
Rs. 3,i8,ooo, and for cesses Rs. 38,ooo. The density of population,
588 persons per square mile, is considerably above the District average.
Bisauli is one of the most prosperous tahsils in Budaun. It lies almost
entirely in the fertile Katehr tract, and is watered by the Sot and Aril
rivers. There are also numerous small lakes or jhils. In 1903-4 the
area under cultivation was 322 square miles, of which 69 were irrigated,
mostly from wells.
Bisauli Town.-Head-quarters of the tahsil of the same name in
Budaun District, United Provinces, situated in 28' W N. and 780 57'E'.,
23 miles north-east of Budaun town. Population (1901), 5,323
The town first became. of importance under Dunde Khan, lieutenant
of Ali Muhammad and Hafiz Rahmat Khan, the celebrated Rohilla
chiefs, who built a fort here about i 750. After the fall of the Rohilla
power Bisauli declined. Near the town is Dunde Khan's tomb, which
stands on a commanding spot overlooking the broad valley of the Sot.