BOLAN PASS 265
Mach and Kirta. The total population in 1go1 was 1,936. The
Kuchiks, a section of the Rind Baloch numbering 326, are the culti-
vating proprietors of the soil. The total area of cultivable land is
3,3oo acres, about one-third of which is generally cropped each year.
Most of the cultivation is at Kirta, which is irrigated from the perma
nent stream of the Bolân. The water and land are divided for each
crop according to the number of adult males among the Kuchiks.
The principal crop is wheat; some jowdr also is cultivated in the summer.
Thin seams of coal in the Ghâzij strata near Old Mach are worked
by a private firm. The output in 1903 amounted to 3,259 tons. In
the spring of 1889 a boring for petroleum was put down near Kirta, and
a show of oil was struck at 36o feet, but the boring was abandoned
owing to an influx of hot sulphurous water. Good sulphur has also
been discovered. No trade of importance exists. The Mushkâf--Bolân
branch of the North-Western Railway enters the District at Nâri Bank
station ; and a road traverses the pass connecting Sibi with Quetta,
which is metalled and bridged between Rindli and Quetta.
The District, which is officially known as the Bolan Pass and Nushki
Railway District, forms part of the Agency Territories. Besides the
pass and the civil station of Rindli, it includes jurisdiction over the road
and railway from the Nâri river to a point within about 13 miles of
Quetta, and over the portion of the Nushki Railway lying in Kalat. The
Political Agent, Kalat, holds executive charge and has the powers of
a District and Sessions Judge. The Assistant Political. Agent, Kalat,
and the Native Assistant for the Sarawan country also have jurisdiction.
The official in immediate charge of the pass is a tahsďlddr, posted at
Mach, who exercises civil and criminal powers. In 1903 the number
of cognizable cases reported was 15, in 7 of which convictions
were obtained. The number of criminal cases was 45, and of civil
cases 182. Land revenue at the rate of one-tenth of the produce was
first levied in i8gi, but the rate has since been raised to one-sixth.
The land revenue in 1903-4 yielded Rs. 4,7oo, and the total revenue
of the District from all sources was Rs. 9, 500-
A small sum is raised by a conservancy cess in the Mach bazar, and
is spent on sanitation. In 1903-4 the receipts amounted to Rs. 1,roo,
and the expenditure to Rs. goo. The sanctioned strength of the levy
force is 208 men, of whom 113 are employed in the pass., the remainder
being detailed with the Political Agent, Kalât, and elsewhere. The
police force, which numbers 39 men under two deputy-inspectors,
is posted at eight railway stations and forms part of the Quetta-Pishin
police. No schools have been established. About 27 pupils receive
instruction in mosques.
A dispensary, maintained at Mach by the North-Western Railway,
affords medical aid to the civil population. It has accommodation for