Indian temples, at a cost of 45 lakhs, by the great banking firm or Seths
of Muttra. Another large temple is still under construction by the
Maharaja of Jaipur. The town lies some distance from the Jumna,
surrounded by sacred groves of trees, most of which contain shrines.
The river face has been improved by handsome ghdts of stone steps.
There are branches of the Church Missionary Society and the American
Methodist Mission; and the latter society maintains a dispensary, apart
from the District board dispensary.
Brindaban has been a municipality since 1866. During the ten years
ending igoi the income and expenditure averaged Rs. 24,000. In
1903-4 the income was Rs. 26,ooo, chiefly from octroi (Rs. iq,ooo);
and the expenditure was Rs. 28,ooo. There is a considerable industry
in calico printing, and second-hand flannel is largely imported from
Marwar and Bikaner to be renovated. The town, however, depends
on the pilgrim traffic for its prosperity. There are two municipal and
four aided schools for boys with 296 pupils in 1904, besides a small
girls' school maintained by the American Methodist Mission.
Broach District (Bharfich).-District in the Northern Division of
the Bombay Presidency, lying between 21° 25' and 22° 15' N. and
720 31' and 73° io E., with an area of 1,467 square miles. It is
bounded on the north by the river.Mahi, which separates it from the
territory of Cambay ; on the east and south-east by the Native States of
Baroda and Rajpipla; on the south by the river Kim, dividing it from
Surat District. To the west lies the Gulf of Cambay, along the shore
of which the District stretches for a distance of 54 miles. The name
is derived from Bharukachha, a corruption of Bhrigu Kachha, I the
field of Bhrigu,' the eponymous hero of Broach city.
The District forms an alluvial plain 54 miles in length, sloping gently
westwards to the shores of the Gulf of Cambay, and varying in breadth
from 20 to 40 miles. With the exception of few
aspects. hillocks of sand-drift along the coast, and some
mounds in the neighbourhood of Broach city, the
level of the plain is unbroken by any rising ground. The Mahi and
Kim-the former a river of goo miles in length, with a drainage area
estimated at from 15,000 to 17,000 square miles, and the latter with
a..course of 70 miles and a drainage area of about 700 square miles-
form respectively the northern and southern boundaries of the District.
Between these limits are two other rivers which discharge their waters
through the Broach plain into the Gulf of Cambay-the Dhadhar about
20 miles south of the Mahi, and the Narbada between the Dhadhar
and the Kim. The Dhadhar passes through the Broach plain for 24
miles, or about one-third of the entire length of its course; and the
Narbada flows for the last 70 miles of its course through the District,
gradually widening into an estuary, whose shores when they fall away