There are 7 police stations. The District contains 6 subsidiary, jails
and 12 lock-ups, with accommodation for 255 prisoners. The daily
average prison population in 1904 was 48, of whom 8 were females.
Broach stands first as regards literacy among the twenty-four Districts
of the Presidency, and 15*3 per cent. of the population (28•3 males and
1•8 females) could read and write in 1901. In r88o-1 there were 218
schools attended by 12,724 pupils, who had increased to 17,276 in
18go-1, and numbered 16,888 in 1901. In 1903-4, 328 public and
private schools were attended by 17,424 pupils, including 2,967 girls.
Out of 299 public institutions, 252 are managed by local boards, 32 by
municipalities, one by Government, 9 are aided and 5 unaided. The
public schools include one high school, 5 middle and 293 primary
schools. The expenditure in 1903-4 was nearly r4 lakhs, of which
Rs. 16,ooo was derived from fees, and 83 per cent. was devoted to
Besides a hospital at Broach city the District contains 8 dispensaries,
with accommodation for 74 in-patients: Including 538 in-patients, 51,500
persons were treated in 1904, and 1,699 operations were performed.
The expenditure was Rs. 15,000, of which Rs.9,ooo was met from
Local and municipal funds.
The number of persons successfully vaccinated in 1903-4 was 7,186,
representing a proportion of 25 per r,ooo, which is slightly below the
average for the Presidency.
[Sir J. M. Campbell, Bombay Gazetteer, vol. ii, Surat and Broach
Broach Taluka.-Central tâluha of Broach District, Bombay,
lying between 21° 38' and 21° 56' N. and 72° 45' and 73° 10',E., with
an area of 303 square miles. The population in r9or-was iro,r89,
compared with 112,906 in 189 r. The density, 364 persons' per square
mile, is the highest in the District, and greatly exceeds the average. It
contains one town, BROACH (population, 42,896), its head-quarters; and
105 villages. The land revenue and cesses amounted in 1903-4 to
nearly 6 lakhs. Almost he whole of the tŕduka is a flat rich plain
of black soil stretching towards the north bank of the Narbadâ, 43
miles of whose course lie within its limits. The remainder consists
of a few islands in the bed of the river, and a narrow strip of land
on the southern bank, nearly opposite the city of Broach. The supply
of tank and well water is defective.
Broach City (Bharuhachha, or Bhariich).-Head-quarters of the Dis-
trict of the same name in Gujarat, Bombay, situated in 21° 42' N. and
72° 59' E., on the right bank of the Narbadâ river, about 30 miles
from its mouth, and on the Bombay, Baroda, and Central India
Railway. The area, including suburbs, is 21 square miles. . In 177•7
the city is said to have contained so,ooo inhabitants.; in 1812, 37,716,: