B UDHANA TAIHSII
Budhana Tahsil.-South-western tahsil of Muzaffarnagar District,
United Provinces, lying between 29° 12' and 29° 26' N. and 77° 9' and
77' 42' E., with an area of 287 square miles. The population increased
from 172,688 in 18gr to 197,034 in igoi. There are two towns
with a population exceeding 5,ooo-KANDHLA (11,573), and BUDHnNA
(6,664), the tahsil head-quarters; and 149 villages. In 1903-4 the
demand for land revenue was Rs. 4,09,ooo, and for cesses Rs. 50,000.
The tahsil is the most thickly populated in the District, supporting
686 persons per square mile, as compared with a District average
of 527 ; it is also the most closely cultivated. The Eastern Jumna
Canal and the Deoband branch of the Upper Ganges Canal provide
irrigation. In 1903-4 the area under cultivation was 235 square miles,
of which 104 were irrigated.
Budhana Town.-Head-quarters of the tahsil of the same name in
Muzaffarnagar District, United Provinces, situated in 29° 17' N. and
77' 29' E., i9 miles south-west of Muzaffarnagar town. Population
(igoi), 6,664. During the Mutiny the place was held by the rebels,
but was retaken in September, 1857. It lies close to the Hindan, but
the main site is raised, and is fairly healthy. The town is administered
under Act XX of 1856, with an income of Rs. r,ooo. Besides the
tahsili, it contains three schools and a dispensary.
Budihal.-Village in the Hosdurga tdluk of Chitaldroog District,
Mysore, situated in 13° 37' N. and 76° 25 E., 16 miles south-east of
Hosdurga town. Population (igoi), i,i18. The fort was built here
about the fifteenth century by a chief who was invested with authority
by the king of Vijayanagar. After the fall of that power, the Tarikere
chiefs seized the place, but it was taken from them by the Sultan of
Bijapur, and subsequently formed a district of the province of Sira
under the Mughals. The pole,-jr of Chitaldroog and the Marathas
in turn held it, until it was taken by Haidar Ali in 1761. The Marathas
again seized it in 1771, but it was recovered in 1774. In 1790 it
was once more in the hands of the Marathas, but was restored at the
peace of 1792. It was one of the last places at which the insurgents
under the Tarikere joligdr created disturbances in x831.
Budikote.-Village in the Bowringpet tdluk of Kolar District, Mysore,
situated in 12° 54' N. and 78° 8' E., 8 miles south-west of Bowringpet.
Population (igoi), 1,460. There is a Bana inscription of the ninth
century. Bfidikote was the birthplace of Haidar Ali, and formed
the jdgir of his father Fateh Muhammad on his appointment as
Faujdar of Kolar under the Subahdar of Sira.
Bugti Country.-Tribal area in Baluchistan. See MARRi-BUGT1
Bukkur (Bakhar).-Fortified island in the river Indus, in Sukkur
District, Sind, Bombay, situated in 27° 43' N. and 68° 56' E., between