B UI S14R TOWN 67
On the reconstitution of the six Districts of Berar in August, 1905,
Buldana received the Khamgaon and Jalgaon taluks from Akola
District. The present area of Buldana District is 3,662 square miles,
and the population of that area in igoi was 613,756.
[F. W. Francis, Tdluk Settlement Reports ; Malkdpur, Khamgaon,
and falgaon (1892) ; Chikhlz (1896) ; and Mehkar (1898).]
Buldana Town.-Head-quarters of the District of the same name in
Berar, situated in 20° 32' N. and 76° 14' E., 2,190 feet above sea-level.
Population (1901), 4,137. The municipality was established in 1893.
The receipts and expenditure from 1894 to igoi averaged Rs. 12,000.
The income in 1903-4 was Rs. 12,300, mainly derived from taxes and
cesses; and the expenditure was Rs. 10,400, the principal heads being
water-supply and education. The town owes what little importance it
possesses to its selection as the head-quarters of a District.
Bulsar Taluka.-Southern tdluka of Surat District, Bombay, lying
between 20° 28' and 20° 46' N. and 72° 52' and 73° 8' E., with an area
of 208 square miles. It contains one town, Bur SAx (population, 12,857),
the head-quarters; and 95 villages. The population in igoi was 83,476,
compared with 87,889 in 1go1. Land revenue and cesses amounted in
1903-4 to nearly 2-8 lakhs. There are no alienated villages in the
taluka. The whole surface is irregular, seamed with river-beds, and
rising into rocky uplands. Situated on the sea-coast, the climate is
considered healthy at all times of the year, but the eastern parts are
malarious at certain seasons. Tithal, a village on the coast, is resorted
to as a sanitarium by visitors from Bombay. The taluka is abundantly
watered by rivers and streams.
Bulsar Town (Walsad, Palsdd).-Port and head-quarters of the
tdluka of the same name in Surat District, Bombay, situated in
20° 37' N. and 72° 56' E., about 40 miles south of Surat and 115
north of Bombay, on the estuary of the navigable though small river
Auranga, and on the railway between Surat and Bombay. Population
(1901), 12,857. Of the Musalmans, the greater number are Tais, or
converted Hindus, who are engaged chiefly in cloth-weaving, and are,
as a rule, well-to-do. The municipality dates from 1855. The income
during the decade ending 1go1 averaged RS. 29,000 ; in 1903-4 it was
Rs. 25,ooo. Bulsar is well placed for trade, both by sea and by land.
The total value of its coast trade, exclusive of Government stores, in
r9o3--4, was 12 lakhs, of which 71 lakhs represented the value of
exports and 421 lakhs that of imports. The chief imports are piece-
goods, tobacco, wheat,, fish, and sugar; the chief exports are timber,
grain, molasses, oil, firewood, and tiles. The export of timber is the
staple of Bulsar trade. The wood brought from the Dang forests is
exported by sea to Dholera, Bhaunagar, and the other ports of Kathi-
awar. There are manufactures of cloth for wearing apparel, silk for