Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 9, p. 106.


Graphics file for this page
x o6 B URIH.4NPUR TO YVN
Burhanpur has a' considerable export trade in raw cotton, and the
town contains three ginning factories. Two more ginning factories and
two presses have been established at Llbagh. The principal hand
industry of the town is the production of silk cloths embroidered with
gold and silver lace, which continues now in the same manner as
described by Tavernier. The manufacture of the gold wire is distinct
from the weaving industry, and is carried on by a special set of crafts-
men. About 2,000 persons were supported in 1901 by the wire-
drawing industry, and the same number by silk-weaving. ' Another
small industry is the manufacture of rough globes of coloured and
frosted glass for decorative purposes. The construction of the railway
has deprived Burhanpur bf the favourable position it formerly enjoyed
as the main trade centre between Hindustan and the Deccan, while
changes in fashion have decreased the demand for.its costly embroidered
fabrics. The population, however, continues to increase at a slow rate.
Burhanpur contains an English middle and girls' school, several branch
schools, and a dispensary.
Burhwal.-Railway junction in the Fatehpur tahsil of Bara Bank!
District, situated in 27 5' N. and 81 24' E. The main line of the
Bengal and North-Western Railway meets the Oudh and Rohilkhand
Railway metre-gauge here, while a branch of the broad-gauge line runs
to Bah rmghat. A branch of the Bengal and North-Western Railway
to Sltapur has been projected.
Buri Dihing.-River in Lakhimpur District, Eastern Bengal and
Assam. See DIHIxc, BURL
Bnriya.-Town in the Jagadhri tahsil of Ambala District, Punjab,
situated in 3o io' N. and 77 22' E., 3 miles north of the North-
Western Railway. Population (1901), 5,865. Founded in the time
of the emperor Humayfin, it was captured by the Sikhs in 1760, and
became the head-quarters of a considerable principality, one of the
nine that were exempted from the reforms of 1849, and allowed to
retain a certain amount of independence for some time after the re-
duction of the other Cis-Sutlej chiefs to the position of jgirddrs. Part
of the estate has now lapsed, and part is held in jdgir by the Briya
family. The town is of no commercial importance. The municipality
was created in 1867. The income during the ten years ending 1902-3
averaged Rs. 4,3oo, and the expenditure Rs. 5,1oo. The income in
1903-4 amounted to' Rs. 4,500, chiefly from octroi ; and the expendi-
ture was Rs. 4,400. There is a vernacular middle school.
Burma.-The name given to the country stretching along the
western edge of that portion of the continent of Asia which lies be--
tween the Bay of Bengal and the China Sea and is known generally
as Indo-China. It is situated between 9 58' and 270 2o' N. and
92 -11' and Io1 9' E., covering a superficial area of approximately
Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html