B UXAI TO l117N 247
Butâna.-'Town in the Gohŕna tahsil of Rohtak District, Punjab,
situated in 29° 12' N. and 76° 42' E., i9 miles north of Rohtak on
a branch of the Western Jumna Canal, to which it gives its name.
Population (1901), 7,509. It is administered as a ' notified area.'
Buthidaung Subdivision.-Subdivision of Akyab District, Lower
Burma, consisting of the BUTHIDAUNG and MAUNGDAW townships.
The head-quarters are at Buthidaung (population, 983), on the Mayu
Buthidaung Township.-Township in Akyab District,. Lower
Burma, constituted in 1906 from a portion of the RATHRDAUNG
township, with an area of 763 square miles and a population (1901)
Buxa.-Cantonment in the Alipur subdivision of Jalpaigurď District,
Eastern Bengal and Assam, situated in 26° 46' N. and 89° 35' E., on
a small gravel plateau 2,000 feet above sea-level, in a valley in the lower
range of the Bhutan hills. Population (1900, 581. Buxa commands
one of the principal passes leading into Bhutan and lies on the trade
route from that State, whence ivory, wax, wool, musk, rhinoceros' horns,
cotton cloth, endi silk cloth, blankets, honey, and brick-tea are imported
and purchased by local merchants, who either pay in cash or give in
exchange rice, tobacco, English cloth, betel-nuts, &c. Large quantities
of indigenous wool, both from Bhutan and through Bhutan from Tibet
and Central Asia, enter India through this channel for export to Europe.
The cantonment, which was established during the Bhutan War in 1865,
consists of a rough fort to which three pickets are attached on spurs at
a higher elevation. A detachment of native infantry is stationed here.
Water is obtained from two perennial streams, one of which issues from
the base of the plateau. The average annual rainfall of 209 inches is
the highest recorded in Bengal.
Buxar Subdivision.-North-western subdivision of Shahabad
District, Bengal, lying between 25° 16' and 25° 43' N. and 83° 46' and
84° 22' E., with an area of 669 square miles. The subdivision consists
of a level plain, entirely under cultivation and extensively irrigated by
canals; a strip of land to the north along the Ganges is liable to in
undation from the overflow of that river. The population was 416,704
in 1901, compared with 438,739 m 1891, the density being 623 persons
per square mile. It contains two towns, BUXAR (population, 13,945),
its head-quarters, and DUMRAON (17,236) ; and 937 villages. Buxar
is famous as the scene of the defeat by Sir Hector Munro of Shuja-ud-
Daula and Mir Kasim in 1764, while at CHAUSA, near by, Humayfin
was defeated by Sher Shah in 1539•
Buxar Town (Baksar).-Head-quarters of the subdivision of the
same name in Shahabad District, Bengal, situated in 25°34' N. and
83° 58' E., on the south bank of the Ganges. Population (19oT),