CAIIC UT CITY 299
revenue of these canals in 1902-3 was 14 lakhs, being 2 per cent. on
the capital outlay, and the estimated value of cargo carried during the
year was 497 lakhs. In 1903-4 the receipts amounted to 4 lakhs and
the net revenue was 1.3 lakhs ; while the total capital outlay up to
March 31, 1904, was 771 lakhs.
Calicut Tâluk.-Coast subdivision and tdluk in the centre of Mala-
bar District, Madras, lying between 11° 1ô and I1° 33' N. and 75° 45'
and 76° 9' E., with an area of 379 square miles. It contains 74 amsams,
or parishes. The population increased from 237,682 in 189i to 255,612
in 19or. The land revenue demand amounted in 1903-4 to RS. 2,20,000.
The tdluk contains the municipality Of CALICUT (population, 76,981), the
head-quarters of the District, and the seaport of Beypore. The Conolly
Canal, about 3 miles long, connects the Korapula and Kallâyi rivers.
On the east the tdluk is bounded by the plateau of the Wynaad, the
chief road to which runs through it. The whole is covered with pictur-
esque undulations, well wooded ,and interspersed with rice-fields.
Calicut City.-Head-quarters of the tdluk of the same name, and
also of Malabar District, Madras, situated in 1"' 15' N. and 75° 47' E.,
on the Madras Railway, 414 miles from Madras city. It is a picturesque
place, the streets winding through continuous groves of palms and other
tropical vegetation. In addition to the various public buildings and
institutions usual in a District head-quarters, it contains a branch of the
Bank of Madras, and a Lunatic Asylum with accommodation for 135
persons. The chief suburbs are at West Hill, 3 miles north of the old
town, where are the barracks of the British infantry detachment and
the Collector's house, both on small hills ; and at Kallâyi, the centre of
the timber traffic at the mouth of the Kallâyi river.
Calicut is the fourth largest city in the Presidency, and in I9o I had
a population Of 76,981 (42,744 Hindus, 30,158 Muhammadans, and
4,007 Christians). In 1871 its inhabitants numbered 47,962 ; in 1881,
57085 ; and in 1891, 66,078, so that it is a growing place. The rate of
increase during the last decade was as high as 16 percent. The climate
is on the whole healthy, though relaxing ; but the want: of a drainage
and water-supply system renders the crowded quarters of the city
insanitary. Calicut was constituted a municipality in 1869. The
income and expenditure during the decade ending 190o averaged
Rs.66,ooo and Rs.63,ooo respectively. In 1903-4 the income was
Rs. 83,000 (mainly derived from the taxes on houses, land, and pro-
fessions), and the expenditure was Rs. 81,ooo.
The vernacular form of Calicut is Kolikod, which means ` cock-fort';
and the tradition regarding its foundation is that when Cheramân
Perumàl, the last of the kings of Malabar, retired to Mecca in the ninth
century and divided his kingdom among his chiefs, he gave to the
Zamorin of Calicut as much land as a cock crowing from Talli temple
VOL. Ix. U