Chabua.-Village in the Dibrugarh subdivision of Lakhimpur Dis-
trict, Eastern Bengal and Assam, situated in 27° 28' N. and 95' 9' E.
It is a centre of the tea industry, and the market; held every Sunday is
attended by crowds of coolies from the gardens in the neighbourhood.
At Dinjan, 3 miles to the north-east, there is a sattra or priestly college,
which is held in great reverence by the Mataks, the indigenous inhabi-
tants of those parts. Chabua is situated near a station of the same
name on the Dibru-Sadiya Railway.
Chach (Chhachch).-Alluvial plain in the north of the District and
tahsil of Attock, Punjab, lying between 33' 53' and 33° 59' N. and
72° 22' and 72' 44' E. It is bounded on the north and west by the
Indus, and is about 19 miles long from east to west, and 9 miles broad.
Percolation from the Indus makes it extremely fertile. Dr. Stein has
identified Chach with the Chukhsa or Chuskha country of the Taxila
copperplate inscription. In the Muhammadan period it was known as
Chach-Hazara, or Taht Hazara, `below Hazara,' probably because it
was subject to the Karlughs who held Hazara. In this plain lies HAZRO.
[Indian Anti2uary, vol. xxv, pp. 174-5.]
Chachana.-Petty State in KATHIAWAR, Bombay.
Chachro.-Tdluka of Thar and Parkar District, Sind, Bombay,
lying between 24° 44' and 26° 46' N. and 69° 48' and 71° 8' E., with an
area of 2,795 square miles. The population in rgor was 40,925, com
pared with 49,502 in 1891. The tdluka contains 40 villages, of which
Chachro is the head-quarters. The density, 15 persons per square mile,
is slightly below the District average. The land revenue and cesses
amounted in 1903-4 to Rs. 49,ooo. The tdluka is a sandy tract of
ridge and plain, and depends entirely upon the rainfall for cultivation
and pasture. It is subject to frequent droughts. Bajra is the principal
Chadarghat.-Northern suburb of the city of Hyderabad, Hyder-
abad State, separated from it by the river Musi. It derives its name
from a dam r2 feet high thrown across the Musi, over which the water
falls like a sheet (chddar). This suburb, which contains most of the
houses of the Europeans in the service of the Nizam and also of native
officials, has sprung up within the last fifty years. In 1850, with the
exception of the Residency and its bazars, there was scarcely a building
to be found where houses may be now counted by thousands, many
of them fine buildings. It forms the principal section of the Chadar-
ghat branch of the Hyderabad municipality. It contains the Roman
Catholic Cathedral and All Saints' schools; the old French gun foundry
erected by M. Raymond, and referred to by Malcolm (1798) as a place
in which 'they cast excellent cannon and made serviceable muskets';
Sir W. Rumbold's house (Rumbold's kothi), now occupied by the
Nizam College; the King kothi, where the Nizam's eldest son resides;