126 CHAKRATJ TOWN
British infantry; and there is a standing camp at Kailana, a short
distance east of Chakrata, where details from various regiments are
stationed. In September, rgoo, the troops numbered 1,716 with
women and children, and the total population was 5,417. The canton-
ment was founded in 1866, and first occupied in 1869. A fine cart-
road, 77 miles long, connects it with Saharanpur, a branch from which
passes along the valley of the Dcin to Debra. The income and expen-
diture of the cantonment fund are about Rs. 16,ooo annually. A
brewery is established here, the number of hands employed in 1903
being 3o, and the out-turn 88,ooo gallons.
Chaksu.-Tahsil in the Jaipur State, Rajputana. See CxaTSU.
Chakwal Tahsil.--Nortb-western tahsil of Jhelum District, Punjab,
lying between 32° 45' and 33° 13' N. and 720 32' and 73° 13' E., with
an area of 1,004 square miles. The population in 19or was 160,316,
compared with 164,9 r2 in 1891. It contains the towns of CHAKWAL
(population, 6,520), the head-quarters, and BHAUN (5,340) ; and 248
villages. The land revenue and cesses amounted in 1903-4 to 3-31akhs.
The southern portion runs up into the Salt Range, and includes the
Chail peak, 3,701 feet above the sea, the highest point in the District.
Between this and the Sohan river, which follows more or less the
northern boundary, the country consists of what was once a fairly level
plain, sloping down from 2,000 feet at the foot of the hills to 1,400
feet in the neighbourhood of the Sohan ; but the surface is now much
cut up by ravines and is very difficult to travel over.
Chakwal Town.-Head-quarters of the tahsil of the same name in
Jhelum District, Punjab, situated in 32° 56' N. and 72° 52' E., in the
Lundi Patti plain, 55 miles due west of Jhelum town. Population (1901),
6,520. A light railway from Mandra to Chakwal has been suggested,
but has not yet been surveyed. Shoes and parti-coloured cotton cloth
are made. The town is administered as a 'notified area,' and contains
an Anglo-vernacular middle school, maintained by the District board,
and a Government dispensary.
Chalan Bil.-Marshy lake situated on the borders of Rajshahi and
Pabna Districts in Eastern Bengal and Assam, between 24 1o' and 24°
3o' N. and 89° 1o' and 89° 2o' E. The length from north-west to
south-east is 21 miles ; the greatest breadth 1o miles ; and the total
area about 150 square miles in the rains, shrinking to 20 square miles
during the dry season, when the average depth is 3 feet. A tortuous
navigable channel runs through it, with a depth of from 6 to 12 feet all
the year round. The principal feeder of the lake is the Atrai, whose
waters eventually find their way into the Brahmaputra through an outlet
at the south-east corner. Land to the south and east which once formed
part of the marsh is now dry; but its waters are encroaching towards
the north-west, and to prevent this, commissioners have been appointed