Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 10, p. 147.


Graphics file for this page
CHAHRAJIVAGAR TOWN
147
' Vaccination is compulsory only in the two municipal towns. Else-
where it is very backward, and in 1903-4 only 50,000 persons, or 28.6
per r,ooo of the population, were successfully vaccinated.
[Sir W. W. Hunter, Statistical Account of Bengal, vol. xiii (1877) ;
C. J. Stevenson-Moore, Settlement Report (Calcutta, 19oo).]
Champawat.-Eastern tahsil of Almora District, United Provinces,
comprising the parganas of Bhabar Talla Des, Darma, Sira, Askot, Sor,
and Kali Kumaun, and lying between 28' 57' and 30' 35' N. and
79 51' and 81 3' E., with an area of 2,255 square miles. Population
increased from 97,968 in 1891 to 122,023 in 1901. There are 1,462
villages, but no town. The demand for land revenue in 1903-4 was
Rs. 65,ooo, and for cesses Rs. 8,ooo. The tahsil extends along the
Kali river from the frontiers of Tibet to the thick forest in the sub-
montane tract called the Bhabar. It thus contains the whole variety
of scenery, climate, and physical aspects which are found in the
District to which it belongs. One of the chief trade routes to Tibet
runs from Tanakpur at the base of the hills to the Lipu Lekh and
Darma passes. In 1903-4 the area under cultivation was 169 square
miles, of which 14 were irrigated.
Chamrajnagar Taluk.-South-eastern tdluk of Mysore District,
Mysore State, lying between I1 4o' and 12 8' N. and 76' 43' and
77 12' E., with an area of 487 square miles. The population in rgo1
was 1x0,196, compared with 91,250 in 1891. The taluk contains one
town, CHAMRAJNAGAR (population, 5,793), the head-quarters; and 190
villages. The land revenue demand in 1903-4 was Rs. 1,57,ooo. The
tdlaik is watered by the Honnu-hole or Suvarnavati, which flows from
beyond the south border north into the Yelandur jdgir. It is crossed
by two dams, from which channels are taken off. Temporary dams are
also made when the river is low, and many large tanks are thus fed.
The whole tdluk is remarkably rich and fertile, a fine well-watered level
plain, stretching away north-west from the BILIGIRI-RANGAN HILLS,
which form the eastern and southern boundary. The soils range from
black and rich red to poor and gravelly, the latter lying in the west.
.jola is the staple `dry crop.' Mulberry is grown without irrigation in
the black soil. There is no cotton and little sugar-cane. The gardens
of areca-nut, coco-nut, and betel-vine on the banks of the river are very
fine. Some coffee is grown under European management. The wild
date-tree is very prolific, and fills all the hollows. The original elephant
kheddas are in the forests to the south-east.
Chamrajnagar Town.-Head-quarters of the tdluk of the sable
name in Mysore District, Mysore, situated in 11 55' N. and 76' 56' E.,
22 miles south-east of Nanjangud railway station. Population (r9or),
5,973. The former name of the town was Arakottara, and a Jain basti
was built here in 1117. The present name was given in 1818 by the
L 2
Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html