T64 CIIANDF RI
Khan, who was governor of the fort under Ghiyas-ud-din of Malwa,
About nine miles distant is Old Chanderi, now a mere heap of ruins
buried in jungle. When this site was deserted for the present one
is not known, but such remains as exist are Muhammadan in character.
The foundation of the town is invariably ascribed to the Chandels,
but the name has possibly suggested this derivation.
The earliest reference to Chanderi is by Alberuni (A. n. 1030). In
1251 Ghiyas-ud-din Balban captured the place for the emperor Nasir-
ud-din. In 1438 it fell to Mahmud Khilji I of Malwa, who took
it after a siege of some months. In 1520 it was seized by Rang Sanga
of Chitor, who made it over to Medini Rai, the revolted minister
of Mahmud II of Malwa. From Medini Rai it was captured by Babar
after a fierce struggle, which is graphically described by that monarch in
his diary. In 1540 it passed to Sher Shah and became part of Shujaat
Khan's governorship. When Malwa fell to Akbar, Chanderi became
the head-quarters of a sarkdr in the Subah of Malwa. It was then a
large place, with 14,000 stone houses and 1,200 mosques. Chanderi
was taken by the Bundelas in 1586 and was held by Ram Sah, a son of
Raja Madhukar of Orchha. In 1680 Devi Singh Bundela was appointed
governor, and the fort remained in his family until 1811, when it was
taken by Jean Baptiste Filose, for Daulat Rao Sindhia. On the forma-
tion of the Gwalior Contingent in 1844, it was included in the territory
assigned to the British Government for the maintenance of that force.
During the Mutiny, Chanderi was captured by Sir Hugh Rose on
St. Patrick's Day, 1858, after a stubborn fight. It then remained a
British possession till 1861, when it was restored to Sindhia (see JHANSI
DiSTR1c'r). It has long been famous for the manufacture of delicate
muslins, an industry which is still carried on, but in a decaying state.
The cloth is of unusual fineness and delicacy, while the coloured gold
and silk borders are of surpassing beauty. A school, a State post office,
a police station, and an inspection bungalow are situated in the town.
[A. Cunningham, Archaeological Survey Reports, vol. ii, p. 402.]
Chandernagore (Chandarnagar)--French settlement situated in
22° 52' N. and 88° 22' E., on the bank of the Hooghly, a short distance
below Chinsura. Population (igoi), about 25,ooo. The town was
permanently occupied by the French in 1688, though previously it had
been temporarily occupied by them at a date given as 1672 or 1676.
It did not, however, rise to any importance till the time of Dupleix,
during whose administration more than 2,ooo brick houses were erected,
and a considerable maritime trade was carried on. In 1757 the town
was bombarded by the English fleet under Admiral Watson, together
with a land force commanded by Clive, and captured, the fortifications
and houses being afterwards demolished. It was restored to the French