T76 CI1APRA TO IFN
of the German Evangelical Lutheran Mission, and a Roman Catholic
mission has recently been started.
Charduar.--A Forest Reserve in Darrang District, Eastern Bengal
and Assam, situated in 26° 55' N. and 92 °45' E., at the foot of the
Aka Hills. The Reserve has an area of 12 T square miles, and is best
knowp as including an artificial plantation of the rubber tree (Ticus
elastica), which in 1903-4 covered 2,872 acres. The plantation was
first started in 1873 and cost more than 2 lakhs up to 1904. Tapping
was first begun on a considerable scale in 1899, and the receipts under
this head in 1903-4 amounted to Rs. 15,700.
Chari.-Village in Kangra District, Punjab, situated in 32° 8' N.
and 76° 27' E. Population (1901), 2,597. In 1854 the foundations of
a temple with an inscribed pedestal (since lost) were discovered here.
The inscription contained the formula of the Buddhist faith, and from
the figures of seven boars carved on the front of the pedestal it
appeared that the statue to which it belonged was that of the Tantric
[Archaeological Survey Reports, vol. v, p. 177.] ,
Charikar.--Town in Afghanistan, situated in 35' 3'N. and 69' ro'E.,
at the mouth of the Ghorband valley, about 40 miles north of Kabul;
5,26o feet above the sea. Charikar is the residence of the governor of
Kohistan, a sub-province of Kabul. It is here that customs are levied
on trade going to Turkistan, and the town contains about goo houses
of Tajiks. Iron ore is brought to Charikar in great quantities from the
Ghorband mines, and is worked up for the Kabul market. There are
several mud forts in the town and more in the immediate neighbour-
hood. In 1839 Charikar was the seat of a British Political Agent,
Major Eldred Pottinger, and the station of Shah Shuja's Gurkha
regiment. In 1841 the Kohistanis attacked it and the greater part
of the garrison was destroyed, Pottinger, one other British officer, and
one Gurkha alone reaching Kabul, though many were afterwards saved
on the advance of General Pollock's army.
Charkha.-Petty State in KATHIAWAR, Bombay.
Charkhari State.-A sanad State in Central India, under the
Bundelkhand Political Agency. The territory is much broken up, but
the main portion lies between 25° 21' and 25° 35' N. and 79° 39' and
79° 56' E. The State includes nine separate tracts, comprising an
area of about 745 square miles; eight of these are enclosed by the
British District of Hamirpur, while the ninth, which is the largest,
lies on the Dhasan river, and is surrounded by portions of the Orchha,
Chhatarpur, and Bijawar States. The only rivers of importance are
the Ken and Dhasan.
The State lies almost wholly in the alluvial tract which conceals the
Rundelkhand gneiss on either side of the Ken river. Some of the