173,756 in rgoi. There are 158 villages and two towns, Kosi (popu-
lation, 9,565) and CHH9TA (8,287), the tahsil head-quarters. The
demand for land revenue in 1903-4 was Rs. 3,38,ooo, and for cesses
Rs. 59,ooo. The density of population, 428 persons per square mile, is
the lowest in the District. Up to 1894 the northern portion formed a
separate tahsil called Kosi. The tahsil is bounded on the east by the
Jumna, which is fringed with ravines and a sandy strip of land; but
these are not so extensive as in the Muttra tahsil to the south. A ridge
of sand traverses the centre, and another narrow belt is found farther
west, beyond which is a shallow depression not sufficiently marked to
form a drainage channel. The western boundary is formed by the
Bharatpur State, and in places low stone hills are found. In the north
the wells are very deep and the water they contain is usually brackish.
The autumn harvest is more important here than the spring harvest, and
jowdr is the most common staple. In 1903--4 the area under cultivation
was 329 square miles, of which 113 were irrigated. The Agra Canal
supplies a rather larger area than wells. A drain has recently been
completed from a depression near Kosi to the Jumna.
Chhata Town.-Head-quarters of the tahsil of the same name in
Muttra District, United Provinces, situated in 27° 44' N. and 77° 31'
E., on the Agra-Delhi road. Population (1901), 8,287. The principal
feature of the town is its large fort-like sarai, covering an area of r2
acres, with battlemented walls and bastions, and two lofty gateways
of decorated stonework, dating from the time of Sher Shah or Akbar.
The interior is disfigured by a number of mean mud huts. During
the Mutiny of 1857 the sarai was occupied by the rebels, who, how-
ever, had to blow one of the towers down before they could effect an
entrance. The town is administered under Act XX of 1856, with an
income of about Rs. 1,2oo. Trade is chiefly local. There is a primary
school with about 8o pupils.
Chhatak.-Village in the Sunamganj subdivision of Sylhet District,
Eastern Bengal and Assam, situated in 25° 2' N. and 91° 40' E., on the
left bank of the Surma. The river is navigable by steamers up to
this point all the year round, and there is a large export trade to Bengal
in lime, potatoes, and oranges. A tall masonry obelisk, erected in
memory of Mr. Inglis, who founded a large business in lime, stands on
the summit of a low hill, from which a magnificent view is obtained
over river, swamp, and forest to the blue line of the Khasi Hills, which
rise like a wall from the plain. This obelisk was cracked in three
places by the earthquake of 1897, and the pieces were wrenched round
in the same plane without being thrown down.
Chhatari.-Town in the Khurja tahsil of Bulandshahr District,
United Provinces, situated in 28° 6' N. and 78° 9' E., 30 miles south
of Bulandshahr town. Population (1901), 5,574. The town takes its