Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 10, p. 198.


Graphics file for this page
CArHA TA R1
name from the Chhatardhari clan of Mewatis who founded it. It
belongs to the estate of the same name founded by Mahmud Ali Khan,
a brother of Murad Ali Khan of PAxnsu. The estate is at present
under the Court of Wards, as the owner, Ahmad Saiyid Khan, is a
minor. Chhatari is administered under Act XX of 1856, with an
income of about Rs. 8oo. There is a primary school with about 120
pupils.
Chhatarpur State.--A sanad State in Central India, under the
Bundelkhand Agency, lying between 24' z1' and 25' 15' N. and 7g
34' and 8o 8' E., with an area of i,ir8 square miles. It is bounded
on the north by the Hamirpur District of the United Provinces and
part of the Charkhari State ; on the east by the Ken river, which
separates it from the States of Ajaigarh and Panna; on the west by
portions of the Bijawar and Charkhari States ; and on the south by the
Bijawar and Panna States and the British District of Damoh in the
Central Provinces. The greater part of the State consists of a level
plain with a mean elevation of 6oo feet above the sea, covered with
trees and watered by numerous tanks. The only important streams
are the Ken, with its tributaries the Urmal and Kutri, which flow
during the greater part of the year.
The main portion of the State lies in the Bundelkhand gneiss area.
The portion immediately surrounding the chief town, however, falls
within the Tumna alluvial tract, while in the south-eastern part of the
State, which is situated in the Panna range, the Ken and its tributaries
have cut deep gorges exposing the massive Vindhyan sandstones. The
Rewah shales, which also occur, are a continuation of the diamond-
bearing tract of Panna, though there is no record of their ever having
been searched for stones. The Lower Vindhyan strata, with outcrops
of the Bijawars at their base, and the Kaimur sandstones are also met
with, the last yielding superb building material. The climate is tem-
perate, and the annual rainfall averages 46 inches.
The State of Chhatarpur was founded in the latter part of the
eighteenth century by Kunwar Sone Sah Ponwar or Pamar, a retainer
of Raja Hindupat of Panna, out of territories belonging to that State.
On Hindupat's death in 1777 his son Sarnat Singh was forced to leave
the State, and retired to Rajnagar, near Chhatarpur. He died, leaving
a minor son, Hira Singh, whose guardian was Kunwar Sone Sah
Ponwar. Taking advantage of the youth of his master, SOHC Sah seized
the jdgir in 1785, to which he added much territory during the
disturbed period of the Maratha invasion. In r8oo he, together with
the other Bundelkhand chiefs, became tributary to Ali Bahadur, the
Nawab of Banda. On the establishment of British supremacy in
Bundelkhand, Sone Sah received a .sanad in i8o6, by which certain
lands he then held were secured to him, while others, including the
Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html