was Rs. 1, 19,ooo. From east to north the taluk is crossed by low bare
hills of the Chiknayakanhalli auriferous band. Humidity from fogs
which form on the hills often preserves the crops from failure in dry
seasons. The drainage is northwards to the Vedavati or Hagari. In
the north-east the large Borankanave tank has been formed by damming
a gorge in the hills. Coco-nut and areca-nut plantations abound in
the tdluk. Gold-mining has been experimentally begun at Bellara
in the north.
Chiknayakanhalli Town.-Head-quarters of the taluk of the same
name in Tumkur District, Mysore, situated in 13° 25' N. and 76° 37'
E., 12 miles north of Banasandra railway station. Population (1901),
6,113. It is named after Chikka Naik, one of the Hagalvadi chiefs at
the end of the sixteenth century. The town was held alternately by
the Muhammadans and the Marathas till taken in 1671 by the Mysore
Raja, and it then formed the north frontier town. Dodda Deva Raja
of Mysore died here in 1672. The place was plundered and the fort
destroyed by the Marathas on their way to join Lord Cornwallis before
Seringapatam in 1791. It is a prosperous town, surrounded by coco-nut
and areca-nut gardens. Their produce, with the white and coloured
cotton cloths made in the place, are largely sold at the weekly fair.
There are seven endowed temples. The municipality dates from 1870.
The receipts and expenditure during the ten years ending 1901 averaged
Rs. 2,7oo and Rs. 2,500. In 1903-4 they were Rs. 4,ooo and Rs. 3,8oo.
Chikodi Taluka.-North-western taluka of Belgaum District,
Bombay, lying between" 16' 3' and :16' 4o' N. and 74' 15' and 74'
48' E., with an area, including the Hukeri petty subdivision (y5etha), of
836 square miles. It contains two towns, NIPANI (population, 11,632)
and YAMKANMARDI (4,556); and 210 villages, including BHOJ (5,450),
BORGAON (5,495), CHIKODI, the head-quarters (8,037), EKSAMBE (5,970),
HUKERI (6,265), KARADGE (5,138), KONGNOLI (5,597), SADALGI (9,091),
and SANKESHWAR (5,639). The population in 1901 was 304,549, com-
pared with 295,305 in 1891. Chikodi is the most thickly populated
taluka in the District, with a density Of 364 persons per square mile,
and this was the only taluka which increased in population between
891 and 1901. The demand for land revenue in 1903-4 was 3-341akhs,
and for cesses Rs. 32,ooo. The rich black soil of the north gradually
passes into red towards the west. In the south the soil is gritty and
poor. The taluka is famous for its tobacco, sugar-cane, fruit, and
vegetable gardens. The irrigation wells protect a large area. The
annual rainfall averages 32 inches.
Chikodi Village.-Head-quarters of the taluka of the same name
in Belgaum District, Bombay, situated in 16° 26' N. and 74° 35'
E., 16 miles from Chikodi station on the Southern Mahratta Rail-
way. Population (1901), 8,037. It is a considerable entrep6t of trade