224 CHIKODI VILLAGE.
between the interior and the coast, with which it has ready communi-
cation by a road from Nipani over the Phonda ghdt. Cotton goods are
manufactured, chiefly for local use. It was described as a large and
respectable town by Captain Moor in 1790. The neighbourhood was
then famous for grapes of extraordinary size and flavour. Chikodi
contains a Subordinate judge's court, a dispensary, and four schools
with 200 pupils, of which. one is a girls' school with 40 pupils.
Chiktiabar.--lhakurdt in BHOPAWAR AGENCY, Central India.
Chilambaram.-Subdivision, tdluk, and town in South Arcot
District, Madras. See CHIDAMBARAM.
Childs.-A group of republics, west of Kashmir State. See SHINAKI.
Chilianwala.-Village in the Phalia tahsil of Gujrat District,
Punjab, situated in 32' 39' N. and 73' 37' E., on the Sind-Sagar branch
of the North-Western Railway. It is famous as the scene of Lord
Gough's doubtful victory over Sher Singh in the second Sikh War in
1849. Lord Gough, after marching for several days from the Chenab,
came in sight of the enemy near Chilianwala on the afternoon of
January 13. While his men were engaged in taking ground for an
encampment, a few shots from the Sikh horse artillery fell within his
lines. The general thereupon gave the order for an immediate attack ;
and the British moved rapidly forward through the thick jungle, in the
face of masked batteries. Beaten back time after time, they still
advanced upon the unseen enemy, until at last, by some misapprehen-
sion, a regiment of cavalry began to retreat in a somewhat disorderly
manner. Although by this time the troops had taken fifteen or sixteen
of the enemy's guns, and the artillery had swept the Sikh line from end
to end, the unfortunate panic among the cavalry, the loss of almost an
entire British regiment (the 24th), and the approach of darkness
combined to prevent continued action. The Sikhs remained in posses-
sion of more than one British gun, besides holding some colours. At
the end of the engagement, the British troops maintained their position,
and the enemy retreated during the night. The British lost 22 European
officers, 16 native officers, and 561 men killed, and 98 missing; while
67 European officers, 27 native officers, and 1,547 men were wounded.
The temporary loss of prestige was fully retrieved by the decisive battle
of Gujrat, a month later, which placed the whole Punjab in the power
of Lord Gough. An obelisk, erected upon the spot, commemorates the
British officers and men who lost their lives upon the field, which
is known to the people of the neighbourhood as Katalghar, or the
house of slaughter.'
Chilka Lake.-A shallow inland gulf, situated between 19° 28' and
i9° 56' N. and 85' 6' and 85' 86' E., in the south-east corner of Puri
District, Bengal, and in the extreme south extending into the Madras
District of Ganjam. A long sandy ridge, in places little more than