Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 10, p. 279.


Graphics file for this page
PA KOKKU CHIN HILLS
2'79
The main sources of revenue are tribute and thathameda. The
former, levied at the rate of Rs. 2 per house, yielded Rs. 41,900 in
1904-5 ; and thathameda realized Rs. I,I9o. The other items of
receipt are insignificant.
A sergeant is stationed at the head-quarters of each subdivision, but
beyond these no civil police are maintained in the hills. Falam, the
head-quarters of the District, possesses a small lock-up with accommo
dation for 12 prisoners. The tract is garrisoned by a military police
battalion (the Chin Hills battalion), officered by a commandant and
6 assistant commandants, and consisting of 8 companies and 6o gun
hahdrs, distributed as follows: 3 companies (with 2 mounted guns) at
Falam, 2 companies at Haka, 2 companies at Tiddim, and 1 company
at Fort White. These furnish guards at Nos. 2 and 3 Stockades,
Kalemyo, Kalewa, Bamboo Camp, Pine-tree Camp, Lomban, Minkin,
Pioneer Camp, and Yelakun.
A Government vernacular school has lately been opened at Falam,
and the attendance of pupils is good. The American Baptist Mission
has established schools at Haka, Tiddim, Koset, Tunzan, and Yokwa.
The Haka school has not made much progress as yet, but the others
show satisfactory results. For the school at Haka a grant-in-aid of
RS. 2,5oo has been given by Government. The expenditure on the
school at Falam (opened in 1902) was Rs. 523 in 1904-5. No fees are
taken at any of the schools. There are no pongyi hyaungs in the hills,
and consequently, outside the institutions specified, education is at a very
low ebb. The Census of rgor showed that, even including natives
of India and Burmans, the proportion of literate males per thousand of
the male population was only 23 per cent. (as compared with 53 in the
adjoining Upper Chindwin District), and that of literate females o-r per
cent. of the female population. For both sexes together the proportion
was 1-2 per cent.
There are 4 military police hospitals, with a total accommodation for
96 men. Besides 3 civil hospitals, a civil dispensary has been opened
on the Falam-Aijal road, and a Hospital Assistant has been placed
in charge. The civil hospitals have accommodation for 28 males and
2 females; and in 1903 the number of cases treated was 21,885
(including 557 in-patients), and 122 operations were performed. The
total expenditure amounted to Rs. 5,8oo, of which Rs, 5,300 was
provided by Government, and Rs. 300 from subscriptions.
No vaccination establishment was in existence until the latter part of
1gor, when a vaccinator was employed. In 1900-1, 582 persons were
vaccinated by the officers in charge of the hospitals ; in 1901-2, 825 ;
in 1902-3, 1,8og ; and in 1903-4, 3,617
[B. S. Carey and H. N. Tuck, The Chin Hills (Rangoon, 1896).]
Chin Hills, Pakokku.-A tract of hilly country west of Pakokkn
Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html