332 CHO WGHAT
there is a Romo-Syrian church, noted as one of the seven original
churches of Malabar. The town lies on a backwater, connected by
canals with Ponnani on the north and Travancore on the south.
Chuâ.dAnga Subdivision.-Eastern subdivision of Nadia District,
Bengal, lying between 23° 22' and 23° 5o N. and 88° 38' and 89° 1' E.,
with an area of 437 square miles. The subdivision consists of a flat
widespread plain intersected by numerous streams, which have now
in many instances silted up. The population increased from 245,422
in 1891 to 254,589 in rgoi, the density being 583 persons per square
mile. The subdivision contains 485 villages, CHUADANGA being its
Chuâdânga Village.--Head-quarters of the subdivision of the same
name in Nadia District, Bengal, situated in 23° 39' N. and 88° 51' E.,
on the left bank of the Matabhanga river. Population (r9o1), 3,147.
Chuadanga is a station on the Eastern Bengal State Railway, and an
important trade centre. It contains the usual public offices ; the sub-
jail has accommodation for twelve prisoners.
Chuda State.-State in the Kathiawar Political Agency, Bombay,
lying between 22° 23' and 22° 3o' N. and 71° 37' and 710 51' E., with
an area of 78 square miles. The population in 1go1 was 12,005, resid
ing in one town and 13 villages. The revenue in 1903-4 amounted to
1-2 lakhs, and 39 square miles were cultivated. Chuda ranks as
a third-class State in Kathiawar. It is an offshoot from Wadhwan.
The ruler first entered into engagement with the British Government
in 1807. He bears the title of Thakur.
Chuda Town.-Chief town of the State of the same name in Kathia-
war, Bombay, situated in 22° 29' N. and 71° 44' E. Population (1go1),
5,581. It is a railway station on the Bhavnagar-Wadhwan line.
Chudesar.--Petty State in REwA KANTHA, Bombay.
Churnalhari.-Snow peak on the boundary between Tibet and the
north-western corner of the State of Bhutan, situated in 27° So' N.
and 89° 16' E., 23,933 feet above sea-level. Chumalhari is known as
one of the most sacred mountains in Tibet.
Chumbul-River in Central India. See CHAMPAL.
Chumurchi.-Village in the south-west of the State of Bhutan,
situated in 26° 55'. N. and 89° 7' E.
Chunâr Tahsil.-Tahsil of Mirzapur District, United Provinces,
comprising the parganas of Bhagwat, Karyat Sikhar, Ahraurâ, Chunar,
Bhuili, and Idluha Saktesgarh of pargana Kantit, and lying between
24° 47' and 25° 15' N. and 82° 42' and 83° 12' E., with an area of
562 square miles. Population fell from 185,582 in 1891 to 176,532 in
1gor. There are 580 villages and two towns: AERAURA (population,
11,328) and CHUNAR (9,926), the lahsil head-quarters. The demand
for land revenue in 1903-4 was Rs. 2,87,ooo, and for cesses Rs. 45,000.