Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 10, p. 379.


Graphics file for this page
COOCH RFHAR STATE 379
Conolly Canal.-Canal in the Calicut Idluk of Malabar District,
Madras. The canal proper, which was constructed by Mr. Conolly,
Collector in 1848, consists of a cutting about 3 miles in length, running
through Calicut city and connecting the Elattfir or Korapula and
Kalldyi rivers. It thus forms part of the line of water communication
from Badagara to Beypore.
Contai Subdivision (L~dnlhi)-Southern subdivision of Midnapôre
District, Bengal, lying between 21° 36' and 22° 11' N. and 87° 25' and
870 59' E., with an area of 849 square miles. The subdivision is a
tract lying along the sea-coast, swampy and liable to inundation. The
population in igoi was 603,136, compared with 545,358 1n 1891,
the density being 710 persons per square mile. It contains 2,062
villages, including CONTAI, its head-quarters, but no town. This is the
most progressive part of the District. The population increased by 1o-6.
per cent. during the decade ending 19or, immigrants crowding to the
newly reclaimed lands, known as ja,~Oai or I fuel-lands,' so called because
they formerly supplied the fuel for boiling brine when the landholders
manufactured salt.
Contai Village (Kdnthi).-Head-quarters of the subdivision of the
same name in Midnapore District, Bengal, situated in 21° 47' N. and
870 46' E. Population (1901), 2,558. The place has declined since
the manufacture of salt was stopped about forty years ago. It contains
the usual public offices; the sub-jail has accommodation for 15 prisoners.
Cooch Behâ.r State (Kuch I3ihdr).-Feudatory State in North
Bengal, lying between 25° 58' and 26° 32' N, and 88° 45' and 89° 52'
E., with an area of 1,307 square miles. It is bounded on the north by
the District of Jalpaiguri; on the east by Goalpâra; on the south
by Rangpur ; and on the west by Rangpur and Jalpaigun.
Cooch Behâr is a low-lying plain, the whole of which has at one time or
another been subject to fluvial action. It is intersected by several large
rivers ; but they are of no use for drainage purposes,
except in the cold season, when they are at their Physical
aspects.
lowest, and even then the fall is so small that they are
not very effective. Moreover, any attempt to cut drainage channels to
them would lead in the rains to an inundation, rather than to the drain
age of the area they might be constructed to serve. The State generally
is, in fact, hopelessly waterlogged, and during the rains it is not un-
common to see the wells overflowing. The general direction of the
rivers is from the north-west to the south-east ; they rise in the Him-
alayas and fall into the main stream of the Brahmaputra. The most
important are the TiSTA on the west and the Sankosh on the east, while
between these two are situated the Dharlâ, the TORSA, the Kgljâni, the
Raiddk, and other minor streams. The Tista enters the State within a
few miles of its western boundary and flows in a south-easterly direction
Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html