Coondapoor Subdivision (K7endapur).-Subdivision of South
Kanara District, Madras, consisting of the COONDAPOOR and UDIP1
Coondapoor Taluk.-Northernmost Mluk of South Kanara District,
Madras, lying between 13° 29′ and 13° 59′ N. and 74° 34′ and 75° 4′ E., with an area of 619 square miles. The population in r9oi was
131,858, compared with 131,546 in 1891. It contains 103 villages,
including COONDAPOOR (population, 3,984), the head-quarters. The de-
mand for land revenue and cesses amounted in 1903-4 to Rs. 3,12,000.
The Western Ghats form the boundary of the tdluk on the east,
approaching in the north to within 6 miles of the sea. Three rivers
rising in this range drain the greater part, and flow into a common
estuary to the north of Coondapoor village. These river valleys, the
islands in the estuary, and the adjacent low-lying levels are singularly
fertile, as is the alluvial plain along the coast, which in places extends
4 or 5 miles inland. Fine crops of rice and sugar-cane are grown, and
the coco-nut plantations are very productive. The interior and hilly
portions of the tdluk contain much thick jungle, malarial fever is rife
and labour scanty, and the ryots are much less prosperous than on the
coast. In the north of the tdluk the catechu-tree is common, and the
manufacture of cutch carried on by the Kudubi caste is an important
item of forest revenue.
Coondapoor Village.-Head-quarters of the tdluk of the same
name in South Kanara District, Madras, situated in 13° 38′ N. and 74° 42′ E., to the south of a large estuary into which three rivers run.
Population (1901), 3,984. It was a port under the Bednur kings, and
in the sixteenth century the Portuguese settled here and built a fort.
On a strong redoubt erected by Haidar now stand the office and resi
dence of the divisional officer. Trade is at present principally carried
on from Gangoli, which lies on the north bank of the estuary and is
more favourably situated for shipping. On the sand-spit to the west of
the town lies a small fresh-water reservoir containing a variety of fish
VOL. X1. B