Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 11, p. 51.


Graphics file for this page
COROMAYDEL COAST
51
to an end only in 1902. The system of training shanbhogs or village
accountants for field work has proved successful.
[B. L. Rice : Gazetteer of Coord- (1878 ; volume iii of 112ysore and
Coorg).-Rev. G. Richter: Ethnogruphical Compendium of the Castes
and Tribes found in the Province of Coorg (Bangalore, 1887).-Lieu-
tenant Conner : Memoir of the Codugu Survey (Bangalore, 1870).
-Rev. Dr. Moegling : Coorg Memoirs (Bangalore, 1855; German
enlarged edition, i866).-Captain Le Hardy : Report on Coorg
(1834)
Coorla-town in Salsette island, Thana District, Bombay. See
KU12LA.
Cooum (Kuvam).-River in Madras, formed by the junction of the
surplus waters of a tank in the village of Kuvam in the Conjeeveram
tdluk of Chingleput District and the old Bangaru channel. It irrigates
Kadambuttur, Tinnanur, and other villages, and from a dam thrown
across it at Korattur sends down a supply to the Chembrambakam
tank through the new Bangaru channel. It then irrigates Vayanallur,
Ayanambakkam, and other villages of the Saidapet tdluk, and finally
flows through the heart of Madras City into the Bay of Bengal near Fort
St. George. In the latter part of it:; course the stream (except in the
rains) is insufficient to keep an open channel, and a sand-bar forms
across the mouth, converting the river into a brackish lagoon. At
present some of the sewage of Madras passes into this, and the stream
has thus obtained an unsavoury reputation, The new drainage scheme
for the city will, however, remove the sewage to a farm to the north,
and effect, it is hoped, a great improvement in the present condition
of the lower reaches of the river.
Coringa.-Village in the Cocanada tdluk of Godavari District,
Madras, situated in 16° 48′ N. and 82° 14′ E., at the mouth of the
northernmost branch of the Godavari, 8 miles by road from COCA-
NADA. Population (1901), 4,258. Coringa was an early Dutch settle
ment, and was formerly the principal seaport on this coast. In 1802
a dock was constructed in which vessels of the Royal Navy could be
repaired, and sea-going vessels were also built here. Owing to the
silting up of the Godavari estuary, however, its trade rapidly declined
and not a single vessel entered the port during the year igoo-1. In
1881 shipping amounting to 6,717 tons touched here. Shipbuilding is
still carried on at the village of Tallarevu close by, and there is a large
rice-husking factory at Nilapalli five miles away. Coringa suffered
severely from the cyclone of 1832, and has twice (in 1787 and 1832)
been nearly swept away by tidal waves.
Coromandel Coast.-A name applied in the old histories and
official correspondence to the east coast of the Madras Presidency.
The term was used in no very definite sense and has now fallen into
Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html