depression in which this lake is situated was probably part of an old
bed of the Ramganga, which now flows some distance to the west.
Dahida.-Petty State in KATHIAWAR, Bombay.
Dainhat.-Town in the Katwa subdivision of Burdwan District,
Bengal, situated in 23° 36′ N. and 88° 11′ E., on the right bank of the
Bhagirathi. Population (r901), 5,618. Brass and bell-metal work
is manufactured, and weaving is also carried on; there is some trade
in salt, jute, grain, English cloth, cotton, and tobacco. Dainhat was
constituted a municipality in 1869. The income during the decade
ending 1901-2 averaged Rs. 3,9oo, and the expenditure Rs. 3,500.
In 1903-4 the income was Rs. 5,400, chiefly derived from a tax on
persons (or property tax) ; and the expenditure was Rs. 4,900.
Daira Din Pana.h.-Village in the Sanawan tahsil of Muzaffargarh
District, Punjab, situated in 30° 33′ N. and 70° 59′ E. Copulation
(1901), 2,034. It contains the shrine of Din Pariah, a Bukhari Saiyid,
who died in 1603. The tomb.is a fine domed building, covered with
blue and white tiles, and attracts large crowds of worshippers.
Dajal.-Town in the Jampur tahsil of Dera Ghazi Khan District,
Punjab, situated in 29° 34′ N. and 70° 24′ E., at the mouth of the
Chachar pass and 48 miles south of Dera Ghazi Khan town. Popula-
tion (19or), 6,213. The town first rose to importance under the rule
of the Nahars, from whom it was wrested by Ghazi Khan, and subse-
quently fell into the hands of the Khans of Kalat. A considerable
volume of trade used to pass through Dajal from the Chachar pass, but
it has now much diminished. A good deal of oil is still pressed and
exported. With the adjoining village of Naushahra, the town forms a
municipality, created in 1873. The income during the ten years ending
1902-3 averaged Rs. 6,8oo, and the expenditure Rs. 6,9oo. The
income in 1903-4 was Rs. 9, loo, chiefly from octroi ; and the expendi-
ture was Rs. 9,200.
Dakhin.-Tract in the centre of Peninsular India. See DEcCAN.
Dakhinpat.-Village in Sibsagar District, Eastern Bengal and
Assam, situated in 26° 55′ N. and 94° 16′ E., on the right bank of the
Brahmaputra, in the Majuli island. It is the site of a Vaishnavite
sattra, or priestly college, whose Gosain, or high priest, ranks second
only to the Auniati Gosain in the estimation of the Assamese. These
Gosains exercise immense influence over the villagers, but they exercise
it wisely and well. They are loyal supporters of the Government, and
free from the bigotry that is sometimes found in spiritual leaders of the
people. The college is said to have been founded in the sixteenth
century, and is supported by voluntary contributions and by grants of
revenue-free land covering over 12,ooo acres, made by the Ahom Rajas
and confirmed by the British Government. The site of the sattra. is
extremely picturesque. It consists of a large quadrangle formed by the