148 THE DANGS
Forest officer and several forest subordinates. Mesketri and Waghai, two
important outlets, are the head-quarters of the North and South Dang
Rangers respectively. There are post offices at Ahwa and Waghai.
A dispensary and a small school have been opened at Ahwa, where
a liquor distillery has also been established to supply the eleven
liquor shops situated in different parts of the Fangs.
Dankaur-Town in the Sikandarabad lahsil of Bulandshahr Dis-
trict, United Provinces, situated in 28° 21′ N. and 77° 33′ E., 2o miles
west of Bulandshahr town. Population (1900, 5,444 It is said to
have been founded by Drona, the hero of the Mahabharata, who taught
the Pandavas the use of arms. A masonry tank and ancient temple
are still known as Dronacharj. The town lies on the edge of the high
bank above the Jumna, and the upper portion is gradually being
deserted. for the lower, on the ground that it is unlucky. Dankaur
is administered under Act XX of 1856, with an income of about
Rs. 1,300. It has a thriving trade in ghi, sugar, and grain. A primary
school is attended by 8o pupils.
Dankhar.--Ancient capital of the Spiti canton, in the Kulu sub-
division of Kangra District, Punjab, situated in 32° 5′ N. and 78° 15′ E.,
and still the head-quarters of the nono or hereditary governor of SPITI.
Population (1900, 713. It is picturesquely placed on a spur 12,700 feet
above sea-level, which juts out into the main valley, and ends in a pre-
cipitous cliff overtopped by a rude fort, now the property of Govern-
ment, and flanked by a monastery of Buddhist monks of the Gelukpa
order. The inhabitants are pure Tibetans.
Danta.-Petty State in MAxi KaNixA, Bombay.
Danubyu Township.-Northernmost township of Ma-ubin Dis-
trict, Lower Burma, lying between 17° 0′ and 17° 25′ N. and 95° 24′ and 95° 45′ E., with an area of 305 square miles. The Irrawaddy
passes down its entire length, forming the greater part of its eastern
border. DANUBVu Town (population, 6,137), the head-quarters, stands
on the western or right bank of the river. The whole township is level.
Its low areas are protected by embankments and are very fertile, and
the density of population is higher than that of any other township
in the :District. In 1901 the township contained 127 villages and a
population of 85,033, having risen from 60,920 in 1891, In 1903-4
the cultivated area was 178 square miles, paying RS. 2,79,000 land
Danubyu Town.--Head-quarters of the township of the same
name in Ma-ubin District, Lower Burma, situated in 17° 15′ N. and 95° 38′ E., on the west bank of the Irrawaddy. Population (1901),
6,137. The affairs of Danubyu are managed by a town committee,
consisting of eight members. The revenue of the town fund in 1903-4
was Rs. 24,ooo, and the expenditure RS. 27,000. Under Burmese rule,