Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 11, p. 149.


Graphics file for this page
DAPHABUM
149
Danubyu was a post of some strategic .importance, and in the first
Burmese War a stubborn resistance was offered by its garrison to
the British advance up the Irrawaddy. Here in 1825 the career of
Maha Bandula, the Burmese generalissimo, was terminated by a shell
from the British guns. During the second Burmese War, Danubyu
was occupied- by the Burmans, but was evacuated on the approach
of the invading force. The remains of the old Burmese fort are still
to be seen. The town possesses a dispensary and a good Anglo-
vernacular school, and enjoys some local fame for the manufacture
of thinbyu mats and cheroots.
Danus.--A hybrid Shan-Burmese community inhabiting the border-
land between the Shan States and Upper Burma, for the most part
between the 21st and 23rd parallels of N. latitude. In 1901 the Danus
numbered 63,549, the majority having been enumerated in Mandalay
District and the Northern and Southern Shan States. They are often
divided, according to the language which they speak, into Burmese
Danus and Shan Danus. In dress the Danus resemble the com-
munities, Shan or Burmese, among whom they live, and they are,
like their neighbours, Buddhists. The origin of the name Danu is
doubtful; the people are probably a comparatively modern product
and have never had any separate political identity. The Danus must
not be confounded with the Danaws, an almost extinct tribe, whose
habitat lies for the most part in the Myelat division of the Southern
Shan States, and whose language points to their being of Mon-Anam
stock.
Daosa.-Head-quarters of the nizdmat and tahsil of the same name
in the State of Jaipur, Rajputana, situated in 26° 54′ N. and 76° 21′ E.,
a little to the south of the Agra-Ajmer road and of the Daosa station
on the Rajputana-Malwa Railway, 38 miles east of Jaipur city. Popu
lation (1901), 7,54o. Daosa was the capital of the Kachwahas before
they wrested Amber from the Minas. To the east overlooking the
town is an isolated hill, 1,643 feet above the sea; and on its summit
is a fort said to have been built by the Bargajar Rajas, who held this
part of the country before the advent of the Kachwahas. The town
itself is surrounded by a half-ruined wall. It contains a post office,
7 schools attended by 270 pupils, and a hospital with accommodation
for 4 in-patients. At Bhankri, 4 miles to the north-east, large slabs
of a foliated mica schist are quarried, which are largely used for roofing,
while from Raiala, 19 miles to the north-west, a greyish-white marble is
brought for the manufacture of idols.
Daphabu:n.-A mountain ridge, situated between 27° 28′ and
27° 47′ N. and 96° 14′ and 96° 55′ E., to the east of Lakhimpur Dis-
trict, Eastern Bengal and Assam. The summit of the highest peak is
15,008. feet above sea-level.
Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html