Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 11, p. 150.


Graphics file for this page
150 DAPHLA
Daphla.-Hills on the Darrang-Lakhimpur frontier, Eastern Bengal
and Assam. See DAFL6 HILLS.
Daphlapur.-Petty State in the Political Agency of Bijapur, Bom-
bay. See BIJAPUR AGENCY.
Dapoli Taluka.-North-western tkluka of Ratnagiri District, Bom-
bay, lying between 17° 35′ and 18° 4′ N. and 73° 2′ and 73° 22′ E.,
with an area Of 500 square miles, including the petty subdivision (petka)
of Mandangarh. There are two towns, DAPOLI (population, 2,867),
the head-quarters, and HARNAI (6,245); and 243 villages. The popu-
lation in igoi was 154,628, compared with 154,991 in i8gi. The
density, 309 persons per square mile, is a little above the District
average. The demand for land revenue in T903-4 was 1-34 lakhs, and
for cesses Rs. 9,ooo. The seaboard of Dapoli, stretching for 30 miles,
has the characteristics of other parts of the Konkan coast. Bluff head-
lands strand at the mouths of the chief rivers, and the coast-line is
indented with small and sandy bays. The coast villages, dotted over
the low belts of sand lying between the sea and the, cliffs, are thickly
peopled, and are concealed in dense groves of palms. Along the coast
lies Harnai, a good harbourage from northerly winds, and opposite
Harnai is the island fortress of Suvarndrug. Inland, the aspect of the
Nluka is bleak and rugged. Boulders of laterite crop out over the
bare plateaux of this region, and lie scattered in the innumerable water-
courses of long dried-up streams. Eastward the prospect improves.
The villages are shaded by clumps of jack and mango-trees; teak
grows in some of the more sheltered ravines ; and the river banks are
covered with brushwood. The climate on the whole is temperate and
healthy. The sea-breeze is felt in all parts. A small portion of alluvial
soil is found on the banks of the rivers and on the flats formed by
deposits at their estuaries. A good deal of salt marsh and tidal swamp
has been turned into fertile gardens and productive rice-fields. The
annual rainfall is heavy, averaging 131 inches at Dapoli and 166
inches at Mandangarh. The latter is the highest figure for the whole
District.
Dapoli Town.-Head-quarters of the tdluka of the same name in
Ratnagiri District, Bombay, situated in 17° 46′ N. and 73° 11′ E., about
5 miles from the sea. Population (1901), 2,867. The municipality,
established in 1880, has now been abolished, its place being taken by
a special committee. In 1903-4 the income was Rs. 3,700. In 1818
Dapoli was constituted the military station of the Southern Konkan.
In 1840 the regular troops were withdrawn, but a veteran battalion was
retained till 1857. After that date the cantonment was broken up and
the town declined in importance. A picturesque old English church
stands within the site of the old camp, and there are two European
graveyards dating from 1818 and 1821. The town contains a Sub-
Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html