178 DARJEELING DLSTRICT
in-patients were treated during the year, and 1,250 operations were
performed. The percentage of patients treated to population far
exceeded the results attained elsewhere in Bengal outside Calcutta.
The expenditure was Rs. 64,ooo and the income Rs. 73,000, of which
RS. 20,000 was derived from Government contributions and the same
sum from Local funds, Rs. 11,ooo from municipal funds, and Rs. 17,000
from subscriptions. These figures are exclusive of the Lowis Jubilee
Sanitarium in Darjeeling, the railway dispensary at Tindharia, and two
other private dispensaries.
Vaccination is not compulsory except in Darjeeling and Kurseong
towns. In 1903-4 the number of persons successfully vaccinated was
I1,ooo, or 50 per 1,ooo of the population.
[L,. S. S. O'Malley, District Gazetteer (1907); Sasi Bhusan Datt,
Tarai Settlement Report (Calcutta, 1898) ; (;. A. Bell, .Settlement .Report
of Kalampong- Government Estate (Calcutta, 1905).]
Darjeeling Subdivision.-Head-quarters subdivision of Darjeeling
District, Bengal, lying between 26° 52′ and 27° 13′ N. and 87° 59′ and 88° 53′ E., with an area of 726 square miles. The subdivision
consists entirely of lofty mountains and deep valleys, and large areas
are covered with forests. It is divided into two portions by the Tista,
the tract east of that river being almost entirely reserved for native
cultivation where the land is not covered by forests, while in the tract
to the west the cultivable land is mostly under tea. The population
in 1901 was 133,386, compared with 105,672 in 1891, and was con-
tained in one town, DARJEELING (population, 16,924), the head-
quarters, and 181 villages. The density is 184 persons to the square
mile, but the Government estate of KAL1MPONG, east of the Tista, is
far more sparsely populated than the tract west of that river. There
are cantonments at DARJEELING and LEBONG. Outside Darjeeling the
most important market is in Kalimpong village.
Darjeeling Town.-Head-quarters of Darjeeling District, Bengal,
situated in 27° 3′ N. and 88° 16′ E., in the Lower Himalayas, 379 miles
from Calcutta by rail. The name Darjeeling (Rdo-r'egling) means
'the place of the dorje,' the mystic thunderbolt of the Lamaist religion,
and is connected with the cave on Observatory Hill, which was a sacred
spot prior to the British occupation of the country, and above which
once stood the monastery, since removed to a site lower down the hill.
At the Census of 19or the population of the town with the two can-
tonments of Darjeeling and Lebong was 16,924, of whom 10,271 were
Hindus, 4,437 Buddhists, 1,132 Christians, and 1,049 Musalmans.
The number of inhabitants during the summer months is much
greater, and at a special enumeration in September, rgoo, the popu-
lation was 23,852. Darjeeling was acquired by the British Government
in 1835 as a sanitarium, and it soon became a favourite summer