180 DARJEELING TO H7A'
and Lebong, and is governed by (Bengal) Act I of 19oo. The income
during the decade ending 7901-2 averaged 2.19 lakhs, and the ex
penditure 1 - 7 2 lakhs. In 1903-4 the income was 31 lakhs, including
Rs. 48,ooo from a tax on houses and lands, Rs. i9,ooo from a water
rate, RS. 29,000 from a lighting rate, Rs. 23,000 from a conservancy
rate, Rs.42,ooo as ground rents from leases of Government property
within the town, and Rs. 9,ooo as fees from the municipal market. In
the same year the expenditure was 22 lakhs, the chief items being
R.s. 27,000 spent on lighting, Rs. 98,ooo on water-supply, Rs. 47,000
on conservancy, Rs. io,ooo on medical relief, Rs. 14,000 on roads,
Rs. 4,000 on buildings, Rs. 5,000 on drainage, and Rs. 1,ooo on
education. A loan of 16-5 lakhs has been obtained from Government
for the improvement of the water-supply. An electric light installa-
tion was introduced in 1897, at a cost of 1.31 lakhs, which sup-
plies the streets and some of the houses ; an additional grant of
Rs. ro,ooo was made from Provincial funds in 1903-4 towards the
improvement of the installation.
The chief public buildings are the Shrubbery, the residence of the
Lieutenant-Governor of Bengal, built in 1879; the Secretariat offices,
built in 1898 ; the Eden Sanitarium, the Lowis Jubilee Sanitarium,
St. Andrew's Church, the Wesleyan Chapel, the Scottish Kirk, the
Roman Catholic Convent and Chapel, St. Paul's School, St. Joseph's
College, and the barracks at Katapabar, Jalapahar, and Lebong. Two
gardens, Lloyd's Botanical Gardens and the Victoria Pleasaunce, are
open to the public.
The Darjeeling cantonment, which is above the town, comprises
JnLnPAMkR and Katapahar. At Katapahar are artillery barracks, which
at present accommodate a battery of field artillery and a company of
garrison artillery during the summer. Jalapahar is a convalescent dep6t
with accommodation for 400 men. The LEBONC> cantonment below
Darjeeling is occupied by a British infantry regiment. The head-
quarters of the Northern Bengal Mounted Rifles are at Darjeeling;
the force consists of 6 companies, stationed at Kurseong, Jalpaigur3,
Dam-Dim, Nagrakot, Alipur-Duars, and Purnea, 3 companies of
cadets, and one reserve company. Its total strength (1903-4) is 510
of all ranks.
The District jail at Darjeeling has accommodation for 132 prisoners.
The bakery, from which bread is supplied to the troops and to the
general public, constitutes the chief industry; oil-pressing, bamboo and
cane work, carpentry, boot- and shoemaking are also carried on, and
bees are hived.
The chief educational institutions are St. Paul's School for the sons
of Europeans and East Indians, established at Calcutta in 1845 and
removed to Darjeeling in 1864 ; and St. Joseph's Roman Catholic