DERA GHAZI KHAN TOWN 257
police stations and one outpost. The District jail at head-quarters
has accommodation for 384 prisoners.
The District stands fifteenth among the twenty-eight Districts of
the Province in respect of the literacy of its population. In igor
the proportion of literate persons was 3-7 per cent. (6.7 males and
o-2 females). The number of pupils under instruction was 1,895 in
i88o-r, 4,991 in 1890-i, 6,071 in 1900-r, and 7,303 in 1903-4. In
the last year there were 5 secondary and 66 primary (public) schools,
and 2o advanced and 162 elementary (private) schools, with 194 girls
in the public and. 744 in the private schools. The principal school
is the high school at Dera Ghazi Khan town. The expenditure on
education in 1903-4 was Rs. 34,000, Of which Rs. 2,200 came from
Government, Rs. 9,ooo from fees, Rs. 7,000 from municipal funds,
and Rs. 14,000 from District funds.
Besides the civil hospital at Dera Ghazi Khan town, the District
possessed seven outlying dispensaries in 1904. At these institutions
107,885 out-patients and 2,030 in-patients were treated, and 5,401
operations were performed. The expenditure was Rs. iq,ooo, Local
funds contributing Rs. 1o,ooo and municipal funds Rs. 6,ooo.
The number of successful vaccinations in 1903-4 was 12,369, re-
presenting 26-3 per r,ooo of the population. Vaccination is compulsory
in Dera Ghazi Khan town.
[A. H. Diaek, District Gazetteer (l:896-7); Settlement Report (1898) ;
and Customary Law of the Dera Ghdzi Khdn District (1898).]
Dera Ghazi Khan Tahsil.-Tahsil of Dera Ghazi Khan District,
Punjab, lying between 29° 34′ and 30° 31′ N. and 70° 10′ and 70° 54′ E.,
with an area of 1,457 square miles. It is bounded on the east by the
Indus and on the west by independent territory. The tract near the
base of the Sulaiman Hills on the west is irrigated by hill torrents.
The eastern portion is watered by inundation canals, river floods, and
wells. The tahsil contains the peaks of Ekbhai and Fort Munro, which
are respectively 7,462 and 6,300 feet above sea-level. The population
in igoi was 193,744, compared with 177,062 in 091. DERA Gxnzl
KHAN TOWN (population, 23,731) is the lahsil head-quarters. There
are also 215 villages. The shrine of SAKHI SARWAR is a place of great
religious importance, and RojHAN is the capital of the Mazari Balochs.
The hill station of FORT MUNRO lies in this tahsil. The land revenue
and cesses in 1903-4 amounted to 2.8 lakhs.
Dera Ghazi Khan Town.-Head-quarters of the District and
tahsil of Dera Ghazi Khan, Punjab, situated in 30° 3′ N. and 70° 47′ E.,
on the right bank of the Indus. Population (rgol), 23,731, of whom
13,295 were Muhammadans and 9,988 Hindus. The town takes its
name from the Mirani chief Ghazi Khan, by whom it was founded at
the end of the fifteenth century, and has from its foundation continued
VOL. X1. s