land alienated in jdgzrs is Rs. 7o,ooo. The chief heads of expenditure
are: collection of revenue, Rs.50,000; chief's establishment, Rs. 48,ooo ;
and general administration, :Rs. 17,ooo. The incidence of the land
revenue demand is Rs. 3-5-0 per acre of cultivated land, and R s. 1---6--o
per acre of the total area.
The State forces consist of 8o cavalry, 99 infantry, and 27 artillerymen
with four guns. A force of 96 regular police and 173 rural police are
maintained for watch and ward. There is a Central jail at Dewas.
The first regular survey was made in x881 and a regular assessment
in 1894. A fresh settlement of the pargana of Bagaud has been com-
pleted, but that of other parganas has been postponed on account of
the late famine and a succession of bad years.
Dewas Town.-Capital of the twin States of the same name in
Central India, situated in 22° 58′ N. and 76° 4′ E., 1,784 feet above
sea-level, on the Bombay-Agra road, 24 miles from Indore. The popu-
lation in 1901 was 15,403, of )hm'fi 8,713 resided in the portion
belonging to the senior branch (see DEWAS STATE), and 6,690 in that
of the junior branch. The town lies at the foot of a conical hill, known
as the Chamunda. Pahar, or 'hill of the goddess Chamunda,' which rises
about 300 feet above the general level. It derives its name either from
this hill, which, owing to the shrine upon it, was known as Devivasint
(`the goddess's residence'), or, as it is also alleged, from the name of
the founder of the village out of which the town grew. Dewas was not
a place of importance until after 1739, when it came into the hands of
the Marathas. Until 1886 the two branches exercised joint jurisdiction.
In that year definite limits were assigned to each branch, the main street
forming the dividing line. There are no buildings of importance in the
town. The Chamunda hill is mounted by a broad flight of stone steps,
leading to an image of the goddess cut in the rocky wall of a cave.
NVater is supplied from a double system of water-works, one belonging
to each branch, and is distributed through the town by stand-pipes.
Two palaces, two sets of public offices, and two jails are maintained,
and the two sections are administered by separate municipalities.
A school, hospital, and guesthouse are owned jointly by both branches.
A combined British post and telegraph office stands in the town. -
Dhabla Dha1-.-Thakurdt in the BHOPAI, AGE NCV, Central India.
Dhabla Ghosi.-Thaknrdi in the BHOPAL AGENCY, Central India.
DUAL-A petty State feudatory to the Jubbal State, Punjab, with
an area of 25 square miles. Its capital is situated in 31° 8′ N. and 77° 48′ E. Formerly a dependency of Tharoch and then of Basllahr,
Dhadi was annexed to Rawain in the time of the Gurkha supremacy,
but in 1896 was declared feudatory to Jubbal. The population in
1901 was 247, and the revenue is about Rs. 1,400. The present
Thakur, Dharm Singh, is a Hindu Rajput, during whose minority the