Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 11, p. 283.


Graphics file for this page
DHAMPUR TAHSIL
283
Dhamnar.-Village in Indore State, Central India, situated in 24°
12′ N. and 75° 30′ E., of interest on account of the numerous old
excavations, Buddhist and Brahmanical, which exist in a low hill of
coarse laterite of a very friable description. The Buddhist excavations
are situated at three points on the scarp of the hill, but only those on
the southern face are of any importance. These consist of a series of
rock-cut caves, some being dwelling-rooms and others viharas (monas-
teries) and chaitya halls (churches). There are fourteen caves of
importance, of which the Bari Kacheri ('big courthouse') and Bhim's
Bazar are the finest. The Bar! Kacheri consists of a chaitya hall,
20 feet square, containing a stupa. It has a pillared portico, enclosed
by a stone railing cut to imitate a wooden structure. Bhim's Bazar,
the largest cave in the series, measuring 115 feet by 8o, is curious as
being a combined vzhara and chaitya hall. The roof has fallen in, but
that of the chamber in which the stfpa is situated was ribbed in
imitation of wooden rafters. The remaining caves are smaller. One
contains a recumbent figure of the dying Buddha ; and figures of
Buddha occur in other caves. The age of these constructions is put
between the fifth and seventh centuries, a century or two earlier than
those at Kholvi.
The Brahmanical excavation lies north of these caves. A pit
104 feet by 67 and 30 feet deep has been cut'in the solid rock, so as
to leave a central shrine surrounded by seven smaller ones. The
shrines have the appearance of an ordinary temple, but are hewn out
of the rock in which the pit was sunk, the spire of the central temple
being on a level with the ground at the edge of the pit. A long
passage cut through the rock leads into the pit from the east. The
temple was originally dedicated to Vishnu and contained a four-armed
statue of that deity, but a lingana has been added in front of the
statue. From its general similarity to the temple at Barolli, Fergusson
assigned it to the eighth or ninth century, a date which is supported
by some inscriptions found on the spot by Cunningham.
A similar series of caves is situated at Poladongar near Garot, and
others are found at Kholvi, Awar, and Benaiga in Jhalawar and at
Hatigaon and Ramagaon in Tonk, all within a radius of 20 miles.
[A. Cunningham, Archaeological Survey of India, VOL ii, p. 270.1
Dhampur Tahsil.-South -eastern tahsil of Bijnor District, United
Provinces, comprising the jar;anas of Dhampur, Seohara, Nihtaur,
and Burllpur, and lying between 29° 2′ and 29° 25′ N. and 78° 19′ and 78° 41′ E., with an area of 459 square miles. Population increased
from 254,011 in 1891 to 265,185 in 19or. There are 674 villages and
6 towns: SHERKOT (population, 14,999), NIHTAUR (11,740), SEOHARA
(10,062), DHAMPUR (7,027), SAHASPUR (5,851), and TAJPUR (5,015).
The demand for land revenue in 1903-4 was Rs. 1,74,ooo, and for
Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html