DHARWAR TOWN 315
educational institutions with 23,577 pupils, of whom 3,666 were girls.
The 542 institutions classed as public include 527 primary, 1o
secondary, and 3 high schools, besides 2 training institutions, one for
males and one for females, at Dharwar town. Of these institutions,
4 are maintained by Government, 410 are managed by the District or
municipal boards, 125 are aided, and 3 unaided. The total expen-
diture on education was more than 2-3 lakhs, of which Rs. 43,000 was
derived from fees, and Rs. 57,000 was contributed by Local funds. Of
the total, 72 per cent. was devoted to primary schools.
The District contains one hospital, eight dispensaries, and three
railway medical institutions, with accommodation for 116 in-patients.
The total number of patients treated in 1904 was nearly 94,ooo, in-
cluding 1,079 in-patients, and 1,772 operations were performed. The
total expenditure on the hospital and dispensaries, excluding the
railway institutions, was Rs. 29,8oo, of which Rs. 17,900 were met from
Local and municipal funds. Dharwar town contains a lunatic asylum
with a daily average of 78 inmates.
The number of persons successfully vaccinated in 1903-4 was
24,052, representing a proportion of 21-6 per r,ooo of population,
which is much below the average for the Presidency.
[Sir J. M. Campbell, Gazetteer of the Bombay Presidency, vol. xxii
(1884); J. F. Fleet, The Dynasties of the Kanarese Districts (1896) ;
Papers issued by the Bombay Government regarding the Revision
of Settlement, Nos. CXLV, CLV, CLVI, CLIX, CLX, CLXI,
Dharwar Taluka.-North-western tdluka of Dharwar District,
Bombay, situated between 15° 19′ and 15° 41′ N. and 74° 43′ and 75° 13′ E., with an area of 430 square miles. It contains two
towns, DHARWAR (population, 31,279), the head-quarters, and HEBLI
(5,294); and 129 villages. The population in 19or was 126,797,
compared with 127,094 in 1891: The density, 295 persons per
square mile, exceeds the average for the District. The demand for
land revenue in 1903-4 was 2.84 lakhs, and for cesses Rs. 22,000.
The hiluka is hilly, the cultivation lying in patches in the valleys,
except in the north and east where the rugged country yields place to
a black-soil plain, broken by an occasional peak or group of hillocks.
Although the annual rainfall averages 34 inches, water is scanty and
Dharwar Town.-Head-quarters of Dharwar District and tdluka,
Bombay, situated in 15° 27′ N. and 75° 1′ E., on the Southern
Mahratta Railway. Population (1901), 3r,279, including suburbs.
Hindus number 22,770, Muhammadans 7,427, and Christians 628.
The fort stands on undulating ground. Towards the west low hills
run down to the plains, forming the last spurs of the Western Ghats.