offices, and the dwellings of European officers ; but no troops are now
quartered in Dhulia. Briggs's Suburb is the newest and most prosperous
part of the town. There is a weekly fair on Tuesday, at which commo-
dities to the estimated value of .Rs. 50,000 change hands. which town
was constituted a municipality in 1862, and had an average income
during the decade ending 19oi of more than one lakh. In 1903-4 the
income was Rs. 74,400, chiefly derived from rates and taxes. Dhulia
contains a high school with (1903-4) 425 pupils, an industrial school,
a normal class, and six vernacular schools with 845 pupils, of which one,
with 74 pupils, is a girls' school. Besides the chief revenue and judicial
offices, the town contains two Subordinate judges' courts, a hospital,
and a branch dispensary. The Church Missionary Society maintains
a school for both boys and girls.
Dhulian.--Mart in the Jangipur subdivision of Murshidabad Dis-
trict, Bengal, situated in 24° 42′ N. and 87° 58′ E., on the Bhagirathi.
The name is commonly applied to a group of five villages, with a popu-
lation in 1901 of 4,990 persons. Dhulian is the site of an annual fair
and one of the most important river marts in the District, being the
seat of a large trade in rice, pulses, gram, wheat and other food-grains.
A steamer service plies between Dhulian and Jiaganj during the rains.
Dhulipnagar (Dalipnagar).-Name sometimes applied to BANNU
TOWN, Bannu District, North-West Frontier Province.
Dhumnar. -Archaeological site in Indore State, Central India. See
Dhurrumtolla_-Street and Eurasian quarter in Calcutta, Bengal.
Dhurwai.-Petty sanad State in Central India, under the Bundel-
khand Agency, belonging to the HASHT-BHAIYA JAGIRS, with an area
of about 18 square miles. It is bounded on the north and south by
the Jhansi District of the United Provinces, on the east by Tori
Fatehpur, and on the west by Bijna. Population (igoi), 1,826. The
jdgirddr is a Bundela RAjput of the Orchha house, being a descendant
of Man Singh, the fourth son of Diwan Rai Singh, brother of Maharaja
Udot Singh of Orchha, who on the partition of his father's territories
received Dhurwai. After the establishment of British supremacy,
Diwan Budh Singh was confirmed in possession of his land by a sanad
granted in r823. The present holder is Diwan Ranjor Singh, who
succeeded in 1851. The holding is subdivided among different mem-
bers of the family, an unsatisfactory state of affairs which gives rise to
much ill-feeling, impoverishes the chief, and paralyses the adminis-
tration. Number of villages, i o ; cultivated area, 6 square miles;
revenue, Rs. 8,ooo. Dhurwai, the chief place, is situated in 25° 19′ N. and 79° 3′ E., 15 miles off the high road from Jhansi to Nowgong.
Population (1900, 7777-