366 DOD-BALLAPUR TAPUK
large tanks. The west and parts of the south are jungly, with good
pasturage, but the country is generally open and the soil fertile. Some
tobacco and potatoes are grown.
Dod-Ballapur Town.-Head-quarters of the tdluk of the same
name in Bangalore District, Mysore, situated in 13° 18′ N. and 77° 33′
E., on the Arkavati river, 23 miles from Bangalore city. Population
(T901), 7,094. So far back as the twelfth century this was an im-
portant place of trade, but the modern town was established at the
beginning of the sixteenth century by the chief who also founded
DEVANHALL1. Bijapur, the Marathas, and the Mughals held it in turn,
the first giving it in jd,;ir to Shahjl, and the last to Ali Kul! Khan. It
was taken by Haidar Ali in 1761. The municipality dates .from 1870.
The receipts and expenditure during the ten years ending 1901
averaged Rs. 3,000. In 1903-4 they were Rs. 3,3oo and Rs. 3,500.
Dodvad.-Village in the State of Sdngli, Bombay, situated in
15° 41′ N. and 75° 1′ E. Population (1901), 4,867. Dodvad has an
imposing fort built on a rocky hillock. The walls, which are zo feet
high, are half of stone and white earth and half of bricks. The fort is
surrounded by a ditch 25 feet wide and T2 to 19 deep. The rampart,
the parapet, and the bastions are in good condition. The village
contains a dispensary.
Dohad Taluka.-Eastern tdluka of the Panch Mahals District,
Bombay, including the petty subdivision (petha) of Jhalod, lying
between 22° 38′ and 23° 11′ N. and 74° 2′ and 74° 29′ E., with an area
of 607 square miles. It contains z towns, DOHAD (population, 13,990),
its head-quarters, and JHALOD (5,917) ;and 212 villages. The population
in 19oi was 90,818, compared with 117,999 in 1891, the decrease,
which occurred chiefly in Jhalod, being due to famine. The density,
150 persons per square mile, is slightly below the District average.
The land revenue and cesses in 1903-4 amounted to about r z lakhs.
The tdluka is a compact and well-wooded tract, hilly and picturesque
throughout. Occasional frosts occur in the cold season. The Ands
river flows along the eastern boundary, and several large reservoirs
for the storage of water exist.
Dohad Town.-Head-quarters of the tdluka of the same name in
the Panch Mahals District, Bombay, situated in 22° 50′ N. and
74° 16′ E., on the Godhra-Ratlam Railway. Population (1901), 13,990.
As the name Dohad (or `two boundaries') implies, the town is situated
on the line separating Malwa on the east from Gujarat on the west. It
is a place of considerable traffic, commanding one of the main lines of
communication between Central India and the seaboard. The strongly
built sarai dates from the reign of the Gujarat Sultan Ahmad 1
(1411-43)• It was repaired by Muzaffar 11 (1511-z6), also a Gujarat
monarch, and is said to have been again restored under the orders