Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 12, p. 26.


Graphics file for this page
ERAN 26
which bears an inscription of Budha Gupta, dated in A.D, 484-5-
Another inscription, on a pillar now turned into a lingam, records
perhaps the earliest known sati immolation in Indian
[J. F. Fleet, Gupta Inscriptions (1888), pp. i8, 88, 9r, and 158.]
Erandol Taluka. Tdluka of East ' Khandesh District, Bombay;
lying between 20° 44′ and 21° 9′ N. and 75° 9′ and 75° 31′ E,, with an
area Of 458 square miles. There are three towns, ERANDOL, (popula-
tion, x1,885) and DHARANGAON (14,172) being. the largest; and z95
villages. The population in lgoi was 105,840, cam pared with 1o5,ao8
in 189x. The density, 231 persons per, square mile, is above the Dis.
trict average. The demand for land revenue in 1903-4 was 3 lakhs,
and for ceases RS. 2o,ooo. The.soil-is part of the fertile'i'apti valley;
Mango groves are scattered all through the ldluka. Besides water-
supply from the rivers, there were 2,213 wells used for irrigation in
1902-3. The annual rainfall averages nearly 29 inches.
Erandol Town.-Head-quarters of the laluka of the same name
in East Khandesh District, Bombay, situated in 20° 55′ N. and
75° 20′ E., on the Anjani river, 36 miles east of Dh lia. Population
(rgor), 11,885. Erandol is connected by metalled roads with the
towns of Dhulia and Dharangaon (7 miles north-west), and the railway
station of MhasvAd (9 miles south-east). It is a place of some anti-
quity, and was formerly celebrated for its manufacture of coarse native
paper, an industry which still survives to a limited extent. There is
a considerable trade in cotton, indigo, and grain, the chief market
being Jalgaon, a station 27 miles north-east. The town, has one cotton
ginning factory. A fine stone quadrangle in the town, known as PAr~
day's vdda, contains the remains of a strongly built enclosed mosgqae
richly carved, and constructed of old Hindu materials. About 5 miles
- south-east of the town on the top, of a hill is the beautiful tank of
. Padmalya, near which is, a temple of Ganpati. The municipality dates
from -1866, The municipal income during the decade ending 19ol
averaged Rs. 9,roo. In 1903-4 the income was Rs. 9,6oo. The .town
contains a Subordinate judge's court, a dispensary, and five schools
with 743 pupils; of which one, with 6o pupils; is for girls. .
Erinpura.-Cantonment in the north-east of the- State of Sirohi,
RAjputAna, situated in 25° 9′ N. and 73° 4′ E., on the left bank of the
Jawai river, about 6 miles- from Erinpura Road: station on the RAJ-
putana-Malw9t Railway. Population (1900, .3;2o6. Erinpura is the
head-quarters of the 43rd (Erinpura) Regiment, which as detachments
at Abu, Bikaner, and Pachbhadfir. By the treaty of 018 the MArwax
Darbs.r was bound to furnish a contingent of 1,5;oo horse for the service
of the British Government when required; but the force thus supplied
by it in 1832 proved so useless that the o5ligation was commuted
in 1835- to an annual payment of 1..2 lakhs towards the maintenance of -
Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html