a corps, which was raised in 1836 and styled the Jodhpur Legion. - It
was located, on the site of the present cantomment, which Captain
Downing, the commandant, named Erinpura. after the island'. of his
birth. The Legion, consisted of three troops of cavalry and eight
companies of infantry, with two 9-pounder guns; and three companies of
Bhils were added in 1841. With the exception of the latter. the corps
mutinied in 1857; and shortly after the Erinpura Irregular Force was
raised, with the Bhil companies as a nucleus. This force was composed
of a squadron of cavalry, mainly Sikhs, numbering, 164 of all ranks, and
eight companies of infantry, numbering .719. Bhils and Minas were
mostly enlisted in the infantry, the object being to afford occupation to
the local tribes and thus- wean them from their lawless habits. From
,the end of 1870 to 1881 ,the -commandant was in political charge of
Sirohi, and' detachments were on several occasions sent out to assist
the police in patrolling the disturbed' tracts and arresting' dacoit's. In
1895 the strength of the squadron was reduced from 164: to 10o of all
ranks; in 1897 the force, which had till then been under the Foreign
Department of the Government of India, was placed under the Com-
mander-in-Chief, and in 1903 it was renamed the 43rd (Erinpura)
Regiment, At the present time the squadron consists of Sikhs and
Musalmans from the Punjab, while the infantry are mainly composed of
Rajputs, Minas, Mers, and Musalmans. ,
Ernad.-Taluk in Malabar. District, Madras, adjoining the Nilgiris,
and lying between 10° 57′ and 11° 32′ N. arid 75° 49′ and 76° 33′ E.
with an area of 979, square miles. It contains 54 amsams, or parishes.
The population increased from 343475 in 189;1 to 357,149 in 1901.
The land revenue demand in 1903-4 amounted to Rs. 3,4o,ooo. The
only places of importance besides the head-quarters (MANJERI) are the
military station of MALAPBuRAM, and the villages of FEROKH, NIL İMa:OR,
and T1R'fJRANG.1D1. The taluk is made up of hills clothed with. forest.
The eastern portion includes the valley of NILAMRVR, which produces
the finest teak and other timber in the, District. The centre contains
several smaller ranges separating more level valleys. The. coast portion
is more gently undulating, and is intersected in all directions by lore
ground in which rice is extensively cultivated.
Ernagudem.-TjLukof Kistna District, Madras. See YgRNAGVD:EM.
Ernakulatm.-Capital of Cochin State, Madras, situated in 9° 59′ N. and 76° 17′ E., on a backwater, o miles east of, and opposite to,
British Cochin and the bar. Area, 5 square miles ; populAtion (1g41~
91,901, consisting of 11,197 Hindus; 9,35`7 Christians, 935 Musahmaans,
arid' 4r 9 ,Jews. Ernakulim is the terminus of the Cochin State
way and is rapidly growing in population and importance. The chief
public buildings and institutions are the Darbar -Hall, where the British
Resident pays his state visits to the Raja, the office of the Diwan and