and usually a -deadly stillness :in the atmosphere, seems to produce con-
ditions that render outbreaks of epidemics of frequent occurrence.'
It is hardly surprising that, in a town which has been rebuilt within
the last forty years; no remarkable buildings exist.
Falzabad (2):-Division, District, tahSil, and city in the United
Provinces. See FvzAan.
Faizpur.--Town in the Yaval Nluka of East Khandesh District,
Bombay; situated in 21° 10′ N. and 75° 52′ E., 72 miles north-east of
Dhulia. Population (igoi); Io,I8r. Faizpur is famous for its cotton
prints and its dark blue and red dyes. About 250 families dye thread,
turbans, and 'other pieces of cloth; and. print cloth of all sorts. A
weekly timber market is held, and it is also one of the chief cotton
marts in Khandesh. The municipality, established in 1889, had an
. average income during the decade ending. igor of Rs. 6,500. In
1903-4 the income was Rs. 7,roo. The town contains five schools,
with 564 pupils, of which one, with 57 pupils, is for girls.
Falakata-Village in the Alipur subdivision of Jalpaiguri District,
Eastern Bengal and Assam, situated in 26° 31′ N. and 89° 13′ E., on the
east bank of the Mujnai river within a mile of" the Coo-ch Behar
boundary. Population (1901), 287. Falakata is an important market,
at which some of the best jute, tobacco, and mustard grown in the
Duars are sold. It lies on the main road between Jalpaiguri and
Alipur, and the river is navigable to this point by boats of 2 tons
throughout the year. An annual fair lasting for a month is held in
February. Agricultural produce and stock are exhibited for prizes, and
the fair is visited by a large number of Bhotias and by merchants from
Falam Subdivision.-Central subdivision of the Chin Hills, Burma,
bounded on the north by the Tiddim and on the south by the Haka
subdivision. The population in rgor was 36,858, largely Tashon Chins,
inhabiting 173 villages, of which FALAM, containing 625 houses, is the
largest and'most important.
Falam.-Head-quarters of the Chin Hills, Burma, situated in
22° 56′ N. and. 93° 44′ E., on a spur above the Manipur river, 5,300 feet
above sea-level, and distant 108 miles from Kalewa, and 72 from .
Kalemyo on. the Myittha, with which it is connected by a good mule
road. In the early days -of the occupation of the Chin Hills, Falam
post was built on a spur overlooking the Tashon village of Falam.
Owing to the unhealthiness,of the site, however, the station was moved
to where, it now stands, 5 miles to the west of Falam village. Roads
have been made in the station and trees planted. The water-supply is
Obtained from springs west of the station; and at- present reaches the
different buildings through open wooden ducts, soon to be replaced by
iron pipes. The bazar lies to the east of the residential quarter: The