Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 12, p. 72.


Graphics file for this page
72 FARRUKHABAD TAHSIL
near the Ganges, the whole tahsillies on the uplands, sloping down on
the south to the basin of the Kali Nadi. Through the north-east
corner flows the small river Bagar, whose bed has been deepened and
straightened to improve the drainage. Immediately above the Ganges,-
and especially round Fatehgarh, some of the finest cultivation in the
District is to be found. Here a treble crop of maize, potatoes, and
tobacco is often raised, while fine groves of mango-trees produce a
plentiful supply of: fruit, which is largely exported. In 1903-4 the area
under cultivation was 223 square miles, of which 81 were irrigated. The
Fatehgarh branch of the Lower Ganges Canal serves a small area, but
wells are the chief source of irrigation.
Farrukhabad City.-Town which gives its name to Farrukhabad
District, United Provinces, situated in 27° 24′ N. and 79° 34′ E., 769
miles by rail from Calcutta and 924 miles from Bombay. It flies near
the Ganges, at the terminus of a branch of the East Indian Railway from
Shikohabad, and also on the Cawnpore-Achhnera Railway, and on a
branch of the grand trunk road. The head-quarters of the District and
the cantonment are at FATEHGARH, 3 miles east, and the,two towns
form a single municipal area. Population is decreasing. At the last
four enumerations the number of inhabitants was as follows: (1872)
79,204, (1881) 79,761, (x891) 78,032, and (1901) 67,338. Th popula-
tion of Farrukhabad alone was 51,o6o in 1901. Of the total, Hindus
numbered 47,041 and Musalmans 1-9,208.
Farrukhabad was founded about 1714 by Nawab Muhamma
and named after the emperor Farrukh Siyar. Its history has
lated in that of the District. The town is surrounded by the
of a wall which encloses a triangular area. The houses and s
well built, and often adorned with beautifully carved wooden b
Near the northern boundary is situated a high mound on whi
the Nawab's palace, but its place has been taken by the town
tahsili. The streets are fairly broad and often shaded by trees.
are, however, few buildings of much pretension, the District school being
perhaps the finest. North of the city lie the tombs of the awabs,
chiefly in a ruinous state. The town contains a dispensary and a
female hospital.
The municipality was constituted in 1864. During the ten years
ending 1901 the income averaged Rs. 57,ooo, and the expenditure Rs.
56,ooo. In 1903-4 the income was Rs. 70,000, chiefly derived from
octroi (Rs. 57,000); and the expenditure was Rs. 93,000, includ-
ing a drainage scheme (Rs. 38,ooo), conservancy (Rs. 13,000 , public
safety (Rs. 15,ooo), and administration and collection (Rs. 8,oo ). The
drainage scheme, which has been financed from savings, is to cost
about a lakh.
For many years after annexation the trade of Farrukhabad ~as con-
Khan,
een re-
remains
ops are
lconies.
h stood
all and
There
Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html