FATAHABAD TAHSIL 73
siderable, owing to its position near the Ganges and the grand trunk
road, but the opening of the East Indian Railway diverted commerce.
At present there is some manufacture of gold lace and of brass and
copper vessels, and the calico-printing industry is gaining a more than
local celebrity. The latter is chiefly in the hands of Sadhs, a kind of
. Hindu Quakers. A flour-mill has recently been started: There is
also a considerable export of potatoes, tobacco, and mangoes. The
high school contained 164 pupils in 1904; the American Presbyterian
Mission school, 217 ; and the town or middle school, i 13. There are
also several primary schools.
Farrukhnagar.-Town in the District and tahsil of Gurgaon; Pun-
jab, situated in 28° 27′ N. and 76° 50′ E., on a branch of the Rajput-
Ana-Malwa Railway, 14 miles from Gurgaon town. Population (igor),
6,136. It is the dep6t for the salt extracted from saline springs in the
neighbourhood, but the industry has greatly declined of late years and
threatens soon to be extinct altogether. Farrukhnagar was founded by
a Baloch chief, Faujdar Khan, afterwards Dalel Khan, who was made
governor by the emperor Farrukh Siyar. He assumed the title of
Nawab in 1732, and the Nawabs' of Farrukhnagar played an important
part in the history of the tract for the next seventy years. Farrukhriagar
was captured by the Jats of Bharatpur in 1757, but recovered in 1764.
On annexation the Nawabs were confirmed in -their principality, but it
was confiscated in 31858 for the complicity of the reigning chief in the
Mutiny. The chief buildings are the Delhi Gate, the Nawabs palace,
and a fine mosque, all dating from the time of Faujdar Khan; also a
large octagonal well belonging to the period of Jat occupation. The
municipality was created_ in 1867. The income during the ten years
ending 1902-3 averaged Rs. 6,400, and the expenditure Rs. 5,900.
In 1903-4 the income was Rs. 6,8oo, chiefly derived from octroi ; and
the expenditure was Rs. io;6oo. It maintains a.dispensary.
Fatahabad Tahsil (Fatehaddd). Tahsil of Hissar District, Punjab,
lying between 29° 13′ and 29° 48′ N. and 75° 13′ and 76° 0′ E., with
an area of 1,179 square miles. The population in 19or was 19o,92i,
compared with 181,638 in x891. It contains one town, FATAHABAD
(population, 2,786), the head-quarters; and 261 villages, among which
TOH9NA and AGROHA are places of historical or archaeological interest.
The land revenue and cesses amounted in 1903-4 to 2•g lakhs: The
Ghaggar has cut for itself a deep channel in the north of the tahsil
To the south of this channel lies a broad belt of stiff clay, covered
with sparse jungle interspersed with stretches of precarious cultivation,
which depend on occasional floods brought by natural and artificial
channels from the Ghaggar. The east of the tahsil lies in Hariana,
but the centre and south are bare and sandy. A portion is irrigated
by the Western Jumna Canal.