Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 12, p. 75.


Graphics file for this page
FATEHPUR DISTRICT
75
Provinces, situated in 27° 24′ N. and 79° 35′ E., on a branch of the grand
trunk road, and on the Cawnpore-Achhnera Railway. Population (igoi),
x6,278. The fort was built by Nawab Muhammad Khan about 17r4,
but first became of importance in 1751, when Nawab Ahmad Khan was
besieged in it by the Marathas. In 1777 this was chosen as one of the
stations for the brigade of troops lent to the Nawab of Oudh, but it did
not pass into the possession of the British till 18oa, when it became the
head-quarters of an Agent to the Governor-General. In 1804 Holkar
reached Fatehgarh in his raid through the Doab, but was surprised and
put to precipitate flight by Lord Lake, When the Mutiny broke out in
x857, a few of the European residents fled early in June to Cawnpore,
where they were seized by the Nana and massacred. Those who
remained behind, after sustaining a siege of upwards of a week,, were
forced to abandon the fort, which had been undermined by the rebels,
and to betake themselves to boats, On their way down the Ganges,
they were attacked by the rebels and villagers on both sides of the river.
One boat reached Bithur, where it was captured ; the occupants were
taken prisoners to Cawnpore and subsequently massacred. Another
boat grounded in the river the day after leaving Fatehgarh, and all the
passengers but three were shot down or drowned in their attempt to
reach land. A number of the refugees were brought back to Fatehgarh,
and, after being kept in confinement for nearly three, weeks, were shot
or sabred on the parade-ground ; their remains were cast into a well
over which has been built a monument, with a memorial church near it,
The fort lies near the Ganges at the north of the station. From 1818
it was used as a gun-carriage factory, but since x 9o6 it has been con-
verted into an army clothing depot. Near it stand the barracks of the
British and Native infantry garrison, partly occupied at present by a
mounted infantry class. The rest of the cantonment and the civil
station lie along the high bank of the river separating the native town
from the Ganges.
The municipal accounts are kept jointly' with those of FARRuxx-
ABAD CJTY, which lies three miles away. The cantonment had a popu.
lation of 4,o6o in igo1, and the annual income and expenditure of
cantonment funds are each about Rs. 8,ooo.. Trade is almost entirely
local, but tents are made in three private factories and in the Central
jail. The gun-carriage factory employed 795 hands in 1903, A middle
school has 143 pupils, and there are several primary schools, including
one in the gun-carriage factory, a girls' school, and a school for
European and Eurasian children.
Fatehjang.-Tahsil of Attock District, Punjab. See FATAHJANG.
Fatehpur District.-District in the Allahabad Division, United
Provinces, lying between 25° 26′ and 26° 16′ N. and 80° 14′ and 81° 20′ E., with an area of 1,618 square miles. - It is bounded on the
Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html