FORT ST DAVID 1O1
to control the Mewatis. From 1803 to 1836 it was the seat of the
Nawabs of Firozpur, to whom the present tahsal had been granted
on annexation. The municipality was created in 1867. The income
and expenditure during the ten years ending 1902-3 averaged Rs. 7,400
and Rs. 7,1oo respectively. The income in 1903-4 was Rs. 6,6oo,
chiefly derived from octroi; and the expenditure was Rs. 7,800. It
maintains a vernacular middle school and a dispensary.
Firuz Shah.-Battle-field in Ferozepore District, Punjab. See
Forbesganj.-Village in the Araria subdivision of Purnea District,
Bengal, situated in 26° 19′ N. and 87° 16′ E. Population (1901),
2,029. Forbesganj lies on the Eastern Bengal State Railway and is
a market of growing importance, the chief articles of commerce being
jute, grain, and piece-goods ; there are two steam jute-presses. The
place contains a number of Marwari merchants, some of whom conduct
a trans-frontier trade with Nepal.
Fort Dufferin.-Part of Mandalay cantonment, Upper Burma.
See MANDALAY CITY.
Fort Lockhart.-Military outpost on the Samana range, in the
Hangu tahsal of Kohat District, North-West Frontier Province, and
summer head-quarters of the general commanding the Kohat military
district, situated in 33° 33′ N. and 70° 55′ E., 6,743 feet above sea-
level. The garrison consists of a Native infantry regiment, and in
summer a mountain battery.
Fort Mackeson.-Formerly a considerable frontier fort in Pesh-
awar District, North-West Frontier Province, built to command the
north entrance to the Kohat Pass, from which it is 3 a miles distant.
It consisted of a pentagon, an inner keep, and a hornwork, with
accommodation for 500 troops ; but, with the exception of the keep,
it was dismantled in 1887, and is now held by 29 men of the border
Fort Munro.-Hill station in the District and tahsal of Dera
Ghazi Khan, Punjab, situated in 30° N. and 70° 3′ E., on a peak of
the Sulaiman Hills, 6,300 feet above sea-level.
Fort St. David.-A ruined fortress in the Cuddalore tdluh of
South Arcot District, Madras, situated in 11° 45′ N. and 79° 47′ E.,
on the bank of the Gadilam river near the point where it falls into the
Bay of Bengal, about r 2 miles east of Cuddalore New Town. The
place is now included within the limits of the municipality of CuDDA-
LoRE, and several European bungalows have been erected within its
crumbling lines. It has as stirring a history as almost any spot in
the Presidency. The Dutch and the French both had settlements
here at one time. There was a small fort, which had been built by
a Hindu merchant named Chinnia Chetti, and after the capture of