Previous Page [Digital South Asia Library] Next Page

Imperial Gazetteer of India, v. 12, p. 139.


Graphics file for this page
GANGOTRI 139
revenue amounted to r 112 per cent. on the capital outlay. In 1903-4
the gross and net revenue amounted respectively to 42 and 31 lakhs,
the latter representing 10-3 per cent. on the capital outlay.
Special expenditure has been undertaken to facilitate navigation by
constructing locked channels round falls, and by raising bridges ; and
boats can pass from Roorkee to Cawnpore. The portion of the Cawn-
pore branch from Nanu to Gopalpur, where it meets the Lower Ganges
Canal, is kept open chiefly for navigation; and both the Ganges
Canals are, in this respect, considered a single system. Operations are
carried on at a loss; the receipts in 1903-4 were Rs. r r,ooo, while
the expenditure was Rs. 1q,ooo. Grain, cotton, oilseeds, and timber
are the most important commodities carried; the rafting of timber is,
however, decreasing. A small income is derived from mills worked by
water-power at the falls, and the water-supply of Meerut city is raised
by turbines worked by the canal.
Gangoh.-Town in the Nakur tahnl of Saharanpur Distr ct, United
Provinces, situated in 29° 47′ N. and 77° 17′ E. It is the chief town
in the pargana of the same name. Population (1go1), 12,971. Hindus
numbered 5,741 and Musalmans 7,172. The town consists of an old
and new quarter, the former founded by a legendary hero, Raja Gang,
from whom its name is derived, and the latter by the famous saint,
Shaikh Abdul Kuddus, who gives his title to the western suburb,
where his mausoleum stands, built by Humayun in 1537. During the
Mutiny Gangoh was frequently threatened by the rebel Gujars under
the self-styled Raja Fathua; but Mr. H. D. Robertson and Lieutenant
Boisragon attacked and utterly defeated them towards the end of June,
1857. There are three old mosques, two of which were built by Akbar
and Jahangir, besides a school and a dispensary. The town is liable to
be flooded from a large swamp south of the site, but a scheme has been
prepared to drain this. The streets are paved and most of them have
brickwork drains. Gangoh is administered under Act XX of 1856, the
income raised being about Rs. 3,ooo a year. It is the cleanest and
best kept of all the towns under Act XX in the District.
Gangotri.-Mountain temple in the State of Tehri, United Provinces,
situated in 31° N. and 78° 57′ E. It stands at an elevation of 10,319
feet above the sea on the right bank of the Bhagirathi, the chief feeder
of the Ganges, eight miles from its source in the Gaumukh glacier.
The temple is a square building, about 20 feet high, containing small
statues of Ganga, Bhagirathi, and other mythological personages con-
nected with the spot. It was erected by Amar Singh, Thappa, the
chief of the Gurkha commanders in Garhwal, early in the eighteenth
century. During the summer large numbers of pilgrims visit this
place, and several dharnisdlas have been built for their accommodation.
Flasks filled at Gangotri with the sacred water are sealed up by the
Previous Page To Table of Contents Next Page

Back to Imperial Gazetteer of India | Back to the DSAL Page

This page was last generated on Monday 18 February 2013 at 16:20 by dsal@uchicago.edu
The URL of this page is: http://dsal.uchicago.edu/reference/gazetteer/text.html