his claims when they were under examination by Government. A
grant of 331 acres of revenue-free land has, however, recently been
sanctioned by the Government of India.
Garautha.-North-eastern tahsil of Jhansi District, United Pro-
vinces, conterminous with the pargana of the same name, lying
between 25° 23′ and 25° 49′ N. and 79° 1′ and 79° 25′ E., with an
area of 466 square miles. Population fell from 88,926 in r891 to
66,963 in igor, the rate of decrease being the highest in the District.
The density of population, 144 persons per square mile, is below the
District average. There are 153 villages, but no town. The demand
for land revenue in 1903-4 was Rs. 1,25,ooo, and for cesses RS. 24,000.
On the north-west and north the Betwa forms the boundary, while the
Dhasan flows on the eastern frontier to join it. The soil is chiefly
ntdr or black soil, becoming very poor near the ravines which scar this
tract in every direction. For the last thirty years the growth of kans
(Saccharum spontaneum) has thrown a large area out of cultivation.
In 1903-4 the cultivated area was 194 square miles, but there was
practically no irrigation.
Garbyang.-Station in Almora District, United Provinces, on the
trade route from TANAKPUR to Tibet, situated in 30° 8′ N. and
80° 52′ E., near the junction of the Kuthi Yankti and Kalapani, which
form the Kali or Sarda river. The road divides at this place, one
branch going to the Lipu Lekh pass, and another to the Lampiya
Dhura and Mangsha Dhura passes. A peshkar is posted here to
watch the interests of traders and pilgrims, and there is a branch of
the American Methodist Mission. A small school has 36 pupils.
Garden Reach.-Town in the District of the Twenty-four Parganas,
Bengal, situated in 22° 33′ N. and 88° 19′ E., immediately below
Calcutta, of which it forms a suburb, on the east bank of the Hooghly
river. The suburb is divided for administrative purposes into two
portions, the Nemuckmahal Ghat road dividing the `Added Area'
of Calcutta on the east from the Garden Reach municipality on the
west. The population of the latter in 19o1 was 28,211. Hindus
number 12,181, Musalmans 15,779, and Christians 187. The site of
the Aligarh fort, taken by Clive in December, 1756, during the
operations for the recapture of Calcutta, may still be seen. The
suburb was formerly a favourite European quarter, and contains many
fine houses built between 1768 and 178o. The residence of the late
ex-king of Oudh was fixed here, and many of his descendants still
inhabit the place. Garden Reach is now an important industrial
suburb of Calcutta, containing jute-mills, a cotton-mill, and dockyards.
Until 1897 the Garden Reach municipality formed part of the South
Suburban municipality, but was separated from it in that year. The
income during the seven years ending 1903---4 averaged Rs. 49,000,