GAU`HATI SOBDIVISION 183
of the Twenty-four Parganas, Bengal, situated in 22° 49′ N. and
88° 22′ E., on the east bank of the Hooghly river. Population (igo1),
7,375. It is a busy industrial place, containing jute and cotton mills.
The village of SYAMNAGAR is within the town. Garulia was included
within the North Barrackpore municipality until 1896, when it was
constituted a separate municipality. The income of the municipality
during the eight years since its constitution has averaged Rs. 9,ooo,
and the expenditure Rs. 8,ooo. In 1903-4 the income was Rs. 18,ooo,
including a loan of Rs. 5,000 from Government, while the same sum
was realized from a tax on persons (or property tax). The expenditure
was Rs. 13,000.
Garvi.--Petty State in the DANGs, Bombay.
Garwa.-Town in the Palamau District of Bengal, situated in
24° 10′ N. and 83° 50′ E., on the Danro river. Population (1901),
3,610. Garwa is the chief distributing centre for the surplus produce
of the District, and of a great part of Surguja State. Stick-lac, resin,
catechu, cocoons of tasar silk, hides, oilseeds, ;ha, cotton, and iron
are here collected for export ; the imports are food-grains, brass
vessels, piece-goods, blankets, silk, salt, tobacco, spices, drugs, &c.
The market is held in the dry season on the sands of the Danro river.
Gauhati Subdivision.-Subdivision of Kamrflp District, Eastern
Bengal and Assam, lying between 25° 43′ and 26° 53′ N. and 90° 56′
and 92° 11′ E., on both sides of the Brahmaputra, with an area of
2,584 square miles. It had a population in 1901 of 473,252,
compared with 498,544 in 1891. It contains one town, GAUHATI
(population, 11,661), the head-quarters of the District; and 1,116,
villages. The demand for land revenue and cesses in 1903-4
amounted to Rs. 10,97,000. South of the river the country is much
broken up by outlying spurs of the Assam Range and by isolated hills
which crop up above the alluvium, but on the north a wide plain
stretches right up to the frontier of Bhutan. The centre of this plain
is densely populated, and in the Nalbari tahsil there are as many as
613 persons per square mile ; but near the hills stretch large tracts of
waste land, and the subdivision as a whole supports only 183 persons
per square mile. The decrease during the last intercensal period was
due to the ravages of hall azdr, malarial fever, and cholera. The
average rainfall at Gauhati is only 67 inches in the year; but nearer
the hills, both on the north and south, it is as much as 75 or 8o inches.
The majority of the population consist of respectable Sadra castes,
such as the Kalita and Kewat, but a large tract lying between the Go-
hain Kamala Ali and the Bhutan hills is almost exclusively occupied by
the Kachari tribe. Sali, or transplanted winter rice, forms the staple
crop; but the subdivision was most injuriously affected by the earth-
quake of 1897, which covered some of the most valuable land with