canals. The principal crop is rice ; bdjra, barley, and sugar-cane are
Ghora Dakka.---Small cantonment in Hazara District, North-West
Frontier Province, situated in 34° 2′ N. and 73° 25′ E., on the road
between Dunga Gali and Murree, 3 miles from the former and 15
from the latter place. During the summer months it is occupied
by a detachment of British infantry.
Ghoraghat.-Ruined city in the head-quarters subdivision of
Dinajpur District, Eastern Bengal and Assam, situated in 25° 15′ N.
and 89° 18′ E., on the west bank of the Karatoya river. Some ruins
are connected by legend with Virat Raja of the Mahabharata, in
whose court Yudhishthira with his four brothers and wife found exile.
There are also the remains of a strong military and administrative
outpost established under Muhammadan rule at the end of the fif-
teenth century by Ala-ud-din Husain.
[Martin (Buchanan), Easterai India, vol. ii, pp. 678-81.]
Ghorasar (Ghodasar).-Petty State in MAHI KANTHA, Bombay.
Ghosi.-North-eastern tahsil of Azamgarh District, United Pro
vinces, lying between 25° 57′ and 26° 19′ N. and 83° 21′ and 83°
52′ E., with an area of 368 square miles. The tahsil was formed in
1904 by transferring the parganas of Natthupur and Ghosi from Sagri
tahsil, and portions of the pargana of Muhammadabad from the tahsil
of that name. Population according to the Census of 1901 is 26o,840,
and the density is about the District average. There are 519 villages
and two towns : DOHRIGHAT (population, 3,417) and KOPAGANJ
(7,039). The demand for land revenue is Rs. 2,72,ooo, and for cesses
Rs. 46,ooo. The tahsil lies between the Gogra and the Chhoti Sarju
and Tons, and thus includes a considerable area of low-lying karhhdr
land, which is subject to fluvial action.
Ghotki Taluka.-Tdluha of Sukkur District, Sind, Bombay, lying
between 27° 40′ and 28° 11′ N. and 69° 4′ and 69° 35′ E., with an area
Of 518 square miles, including the Pano Akil mahdl (168 square miles).
The population rose from 67,743 in 1891 to 72,019 in r901. The
tdluka contains one town, GHOTKI (population, 3,821), the head-
quarters; and 129 villages. The density, 139 persons-per square mile,
is much above the District average. The land revenue and cesses
in 1903-4 amounted to 2-2 lakhs. The tdluka is liable to floods, and
depends for the irrigation of its jowdr and wheat upon small canals
leading direct from the Indus. The zaminddrs are mostly small
holders and impoverished. Much forest land fringes the banks of
Ghotki Town.-Head-quarters of the tdluka of the same name in
Sukkur District, Sind, Bombay, situated in 28° N. and 69° 21′ E., on
the North-Western Railway. Population (1901), 3,821. The Muham-