madan residents are chiefly Pathans, Malaks, Saiyids, Muchis, and
Lohars, and the Hindus principally Banias. Ghotki was founded
about 1747. The mosque of Pir Musan Shah, the founder of the place,
113 feet long by 65 feet broad, and decorated with coloured tiles, is the
largest in Sind, and of great sanctity. Local trade is chiefly in cereals,
indigo, wool, and sugar-cane. The Lohars (blacksmiths) of Ghotki
are famed for their metal-work; wood-carving and staining are also
very creditably executed. The municipality, constituted in 1855, had
an average income during the decade ending 19o1 of Rs. 8,045. In
1903-4 the income was Rs. 7,5oo. The town contains a dispensary
and two schools, attended by 172 boys and 6 girls.
Ghund.-A fief of the Keonthal State, Punjab, lying between 31° 2′
and 31° 6′ N. and 77° 27′ and 77° 33′ E., with an area of 28 square
miles. The population in 19o1 was 1,927, and the revenue is about
Rs. 2,ooo. A tribute of Rs. 250 is paid to the Keonthal State. The
present chief, Thakur Bishan Singh, exercises full powers, but sen-
tences of death require the confirmation of the Superintendent, Simla
Ghuram (Kuhram, or Ramgarh).-Ancient town in the Ghanaur
lahsil, Pinjaur nizamal, Patiala State, Punjab, situated in 30° 7′ N. and
76° 33′ E., 26 miles south of Rajpura. Population (1901), 798.
Tradition avers that it was the abode of the maternal grandfather
of Rama Chandra, king of Ajodhya. In historical times Kuhram
is first mentioned as surrendering to Muhammad of Ghor in 1192.
It remained a fief of Delhi during the early period of the Muhammadan
empire, but fell into decay. Extensive ruins mark its former greatness.
Ghusuri.-Northern suburb of Howrah city in Howrah District,
Bengal, containing jute and cotton-mills, jute-presses, and rope-works.
The last, founded a century ago, forms the oldest factory industry
in the town. Ghusuri is a permanent market, with a large trade in
Gidar Dhor.-River in Baluchistan. See HINGOL.
Gidhaur.-Village in the Jamfii subdivision of Monghyr District,
Bengal, situated in 24° 51′ N. and 86° 12′ E. Population (19oi),
1,780. Gidhaur is the present seat of one of the oldest of the noble
families of Bihar. Their original home was at the foot of the hills
near the village of Khaira ; and the ruins of an old stone fort and
other buildings may still be traced in the scrub jungle there. Close
by are the remains of a large masonry fort, known as Naulakhagarh,
the erection of which is by local tradition ascribed to Sher Shah, but
which may once have been the seat of the family. The founder was
Bir Bikram Singh, a Rajput who emigrated from his home in Central
India about the thirteenth century, and, after slaying a local Dosadh
ruler who held sway over large estates in the neighbourhood, estab-