266 GOA SETTEMENT
O Indio, O Bardezano, O Vacionalisla, O Diario de Goa, Echo de la
India, and Oriente, all edited in the Portuguese language by natives.
There is also an archaeological review, O Oriente Tortuguez.
There are 3 hospitals, where 2,631 in-patients were treated in 1904.
There are also 3 military hospitals, at Goa, Daman, and Diu. The
most important charitable institutions are : the Santa Casa de Miseri-
cordia (Holy House of Mercy) at Panjim ; Hospicio do Sagrado
Cora~do de Maria (Asylum of the Sacred Heart of Mary) at Margao ;
and Asylo de Nossa Senhora dos Milagres (Asylum of our Lady of
Miracles) at Mapu~.a. The first dates from the conquest of Goa by the
Portuguese, and maintains the hospital at Ribandar and two establish-
ments for the reformation and education of females at Chimbel.
[D. L. Cottineau de Kloguen, An historical Sketch of Goa (Madras,
1831) ; J. N. Fonseca, Historical and Archaeological Sketch of Goa
(Bombay, 1878) ; A. L. Mendes, A India Portugueza (Lisbon, 1886).]
Goa City.--Capital of the Portuguese territory of the same name,
situated in 15° 30′ N. and 73° 57′ E., near the mouth of the river
Mandavi. Population of Old Goa (1900), 2,302, dwelling in 500
houses ; of Panjim or New Goa, 9,325, dwelling in 1,735 houses.
Goa is properly the name of three cities, which represent successive
stages in the history of Western India. The earliest of the three was
an ancient Hindu city, before the invasion of the Muhammadans ; the
second, known as Old Goa, was the first capital of the Portuguese, and
is still the ecclesiastical metropolis of Roman Catholic India; the
third, commonly called Panjim, is the present seat of Portuguese
administration. The original city of Goa (Goa Velha), built by the
Kadambas, was situated on the banks of the river Juari. No traces
of'buildings exist at this day. The next town of Goa (Velha Cidade
de Goa), generally known to foreigners as Old Goa, situated about
5 miles to the north of the Hindu capital, was built by the Muham-
inadans in 1479, nineteen years before the arrival of Vasco da Gama
in India. This famous city, conquered by Albuquerque in 1510,
became the capital of the Portuguese empire in Asia; as such, it was
once the chief emporium of commerce between the East and the West,
and enjoyed the same privileges as Lisbon. It reached the climax of
its splendour during the sixteenth century ; but with the decline of the
Portuguese power in the following century, it gradually began to lose
its significance in every respect, save as an ecclesiastical metropolis.
The frequent plagues by which the population was repeatedly thinned,
together with the removal of the seat of Government to Panjim, and
the suppression of the religious orders, contributed finally to effect its
complete downfall. Instead of the 2oo,ooo inhabitants which once
formed its population, hardly 2,000 poverty-stricken creatures remain to
haunt the few ecclesiastical edifices still standing. Foremost among